Suggest Rule when changing Payee or Category (edited)

Options
WWi
WWi Member ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Feature Requests
If I'm changing the category or payee of an individual action, it is likely that I want to apply that change to future or past transactions that are similar. Prompting to create a rule based on the change would make it much easier to create rules as needed without interrupting my current task.
2 votes

Completed · Last Updated

A Rule Suggestion option is now available for both Payee and Category Rules when editing a transaction!

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hello @WWi & All,

This Idea has been partially implemented, as the ability to create a Payee Rule when editing a downloaded transaction is now available by checking the box next to the "Create a rule to also rename this payee for future transactions" option, located in the drop-down for the Payee field:

If you would like to see the ability to create a Category Rule when editing or entering a transaction in Simplifi, please be sure to add your vote! :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Coach Natalie

I think I've noticed that this box defaults to what you did last time.  For example, if you clicked it when you renamed something last time, it stays clicked the next time you go to rename something.  When you un-click it, it functions the same way.  This makes sense because like @WWi said,  you likely will want to rename all the same vendors, shops, etc.

The same default seems to apply when adding Category to an Uncategorized transaction that already has a renaming rule.

For this, it doesn't make sense because Simplifi is constantly trying to add a category rule to my Amazon and Walmart transactions...where I can buy anything under the sun!  Right now, I intentionally have a rule set for those two that makes them Uncategorized when they download.

Please consider changing the default for the Category field - not the Payee field - to always be unchecked.  

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hello All,

Great news -- the option for a Category Rule Suggestion is now also available! This can be accomplished when editing a downloaded transaction by checking the box next to the "Create a rule to also use this category for future transactions" option, located in the drop-down menu for the Category field:

Please let me know if anyone has any questions! :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.