Option to exclude Pending from balance totals

Options
simplij
simplij Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in Feature Requests

I’d love an option to exclude pending transactions from the balance totals that Simplifi displays. Often pending transactions never clear, such as with hotel authorizations. By including those in balance totals it can skew actual spend. I’d argue that a pending transaction is not a completed transaction and as such we should at least have a way to not include those in balance totals. I want to see it in the list of transactions but not in balance totals.

Curious what others think.

1 votes

Completed · Last Updated

You can now exclude 'pending' transactions from your balance!

Comments

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, @simplij, that's the default for most accounts Simplifi supports. For example, the balance I see in Simplifi for my Citibank checking account is almost always the amount shown by Citibank **minus ** any pending transactions. Is that what you've been seeing?

• simplij
    simplij Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I should have been clearer that I am referring to credit cards. When I view All Accounts, the totals include pending charges.

• Coach Tappan
    Options

Credit cards are a little more difficult, since "pending" charges sometimes are just what you mentioned -- refundable deposits, "holds" on funds (like those $1 charges you see at gas stations), totals from online merchants that include unshipped items that are later returned, etc.

• simplij
    simplij Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why is that more difficult? From what you just mentioned, it would seem to make more sense to not include pending transactions in account totals. You would still see them in the transactions view, but account totals would exclude them.

@Coach Tappan said:
    Credit cards are a little more difficult, since "pending" charges sometimes are just what you mentioned -- refundable deposits, "holds" on funds (like those $1 charges you see at gas stations), totals from online merchants that include unshipped items that are later returned, etc.

• Coach Tappan
    Options

Your suggestion is still a good one (the option of excluding pending charges from credit card balances), it's just a bit more tricky to implement. We will certainly see if we can make this work for you, and other users who'd like to see this feature.

• mike128
    mike128 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have used Mint before, where pending transactions are shown in your balance. I have also used Quicken, where pending transactions are not downloaded until they are cleared.
    It's very common for credit card charges to have a different transaction amount or transaction name while they are still pending. Some users might want to see all their recent pending transactions, and other users might want to only show final cleared transactions with the correct information. This could be a user setting -- show/hide all pending transactions in Simplifi.

This discussion has been closed.