Change date of Savings Goal contribution

Options
akafritz
akafritz Member
edited February 2022 in Feature Requests
I use leftover funds at the end of every month to contribute to my savings goals.  Usually I do that AFTER the end of the month.  I want to be able to add to my savings goals for the previous month.  Right now, it is pinned to the month when its added.
21 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• mrzoops
    mrzoops Member ✭✭
    Options
    I found this article because I am trying to do the exact same thing. Whatever is left over needs to be able to be allocated in some way or else its just lost money. This feels very important. 
  • kwimmer
    kwimmer Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    The way we handle a lot of our savings is by releasing all remaining funds at the end of the month and then moving what ever was left over into various savings goals. We typically do this at start of the next month. This ends up counting the contributions to the savings goal counts against the wrong month. Is there (or can it be added) to set the date (similar to transactions) of the contribution so that it gets counted against the correct month? 
  • jbrian00
    Options

I’m having the same dilemma a those above. Any suggestions?

• Pchamb1998
    Pchamb1998 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue here!

• Phlach
    Phlach Member
    edited March 14
    Options

Same here. Since this thread is a couple years old I'm guessing it's not high on their list to implement.

As a work-around, I may keep a separate savings goal for this purpose called "End of Month Savings", and use the "Exclude from Savings Plan" option for that goal in my savings plan.

• simpli_matt
    simpli_matt Member
    Options

Under the Spending Plan tab, users are able to view previous months Savings Goals, and as part of that to view previous months' Savings Goals' contributions. Upon selecting the three-dot menu for a particular prior month's Savings Goal, the "Contribute to Goal" option is grayed out. Is it possible to allow users to make a goal contribution that counts toward last month's Spending Plan?

My primary use case would be making final adjustments to last month's Spending Plan without affecting my current month's Spending Plan. After a month is over (and particularly after I "Release Available for Spending" from my unused Planned Spending), I often want to allocate the extra funds towards a Savings Goal. As it currently stands, however, the Savings Goal contributions must count towards the current month's Spending Plan. Doing this obfuscates the available balance for the current month. This effect become particularly prominent if I had lots of leftover funds from last month that I want to contribute towards a Savings Goal. To better reflect the idea that I am using last month's income to contribute towards a Savings Goal, I would find it helpful to make Savings Goal contributions that count towards last month's Spending Plan.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My primary use case for adding a date to the savings goal contribution/withdrawal is that you could then set up a projected schedule of when contributions/withdrawals will be made, which would allow savings goal contributions/withdrawals to be accounted for in the cash flow report.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• PM009
    PM009 Member
    edited March 28
    Options

Not sure about others, but I will only transfer funds to savings after end of month reconciliation has taken place and my next paycheck has posted to my account (my way of keeping a "buffer" in debit account). It would be nice to be able to "contribute" to a Savings Goal in the previous month after all reconciliation has taken place without impacting the current month's Spending Plan.

Hypothetical Example - Savings Goal for Jan. is $1,000 and by mid-Feb. I have my 1st Feb. paycheck post and I know that I have $1,000 from Jan. that I am ready to transfer to savings. I would like to transfer the $1,000 and apply the transaction to Jan. Savings Goal to be reflected historically and not impact my Spending Plan or Savings Goal for Feb.