Duplicate Transactions with PayPal

Options
shuruev
shuruev Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2022 in Adding and Updating Accounts
Two transactions were downloaded from one of my accounts, which is clearly a duplicate.

The first one was created once this transaction ($35) appeared in PayPal, in a pending state. Once it posted (with a different amount of $43.75 since there was a tip included), Simplifi added it as another transaction!

What is the best way to get around this? Should I manually delete the incorrect (older one) and have to do it every time? 🙄

Just in case, here are Simplify screenshots for both transactions:

and how it looks like in PayPal:

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @shuruev,

Thanks for posting your inquiry regarding duplicate transactions to the Community!

We have a Support Article available here that goes over troubleshooting and resolving duplicate transactions. Based on your description, it sounds like the cleared transaction didn't properly match to the pending transaction. In this case, we'd recommend just deleting the incorrect pending transaction. 

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!

-Coach Natalie
  • shuruev
    shuruev Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hi @Coach Natalie

Yes I followed that article, and it says:

>> However, if both of the duplicate transactions display the same "Appears on your statement as..." information, and both are Cleared (without manually marking them Cleared), then this is an issue we'd want to look at escalating on your behalf. You can initiate this by contacting the Simplifi Support Team!

Which seemed to be my case. The "Appears on your statement as..." is the same (see screenshots), both transactions are marked as cleared now and I never touched them manually.

I was hoping to submit that as a support case / bug, only because I would hate deleting it manually every time this "tips adjustment" happens. This seems like a standard case for some merchants, and I'm certainly going to keep visiting this barbershop 🙂

Looking forward whether it would be possible to fix, or confirm this is "by design"? Please advise, thanks!

• shuruev
    shuruev Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Moreover, the same article says Simplifi would only have a look if it happened less than 30 days ago. So, I was trying to submit as much info (screenshots) as soon as possible, to hopefully help with troubleshooting on the Simplifi side.

Thank you!
  • Coach Natalie
    Options
    No problem, @shuruev!

I will touch base with you on Monday to look into this further. In the meantime, I hope you have a great weekend!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hello @shuruev,

Upon closer inspection of the specific example transactions you provided above, it looks like you're being impacted by a known issue on our Service Provider's side where the pending transaction doesn't fall off when the cleared transaction comes through from the bank.

Although we don't have a whole lot of information to provide on this particular known issue, including an ETA on a resolution, you will want to go ahead and delete the incorrect duplicate transaction(s) in the meantime. 

Sorry for not having better news!

-Coach Natalie
  • shuruev
    shuruev Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @Coach Natalie

Sure, I will go ahead and delete the older transaction. So basically, you are saying that the root cause of this issue is the data being provided by PayPal?

Also wondering, if there is a way to setup a particular account to not even pull pending transactions (and only pull those that become posted/cleared)? With the choice of not seeing pending transactions, and having to manually delete these duplicates when the posted amount gets adjusted, I would choose former 🙂 But if not, I guess for now I would have to deal with what it is...

Thank you! Really appreciate the responsiveness and willing to help.
  • Coach Natalie
    Options
    Hello @shuruev,

The known issue is actually with our Service Provider and can affect multiple financial institutions. However, we have to look at the specific transactions from our end to determine if they're a result of the known issue.

When it comes to setting up an account to not download pending transactions, while this is not currently available in Simplifi, you are more than welcome to create an Idea post requesting this ability so other users can vote on it and our Product Team can review it.

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/998/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Options
    Awesome, @shuruev!

One thing I wanted to mention -- the issue can occur with any duplicate transactions and not just ones that differ in amounts. I went ahead and edited your Idea post to remove that part.

Let us know if we can help out with anything further!

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.