Survey of Savings Goals Enhancement Ideas & Suggestions

Options
DannyB
DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2022 in Using Savings Goals
A recent discussion about Savings Goals got me to wondering and since I had all my usual weekly chores done and didn't particularly want to start any new projects, you know, like clean the windows, figure and out and fix that squeaky bedroom door... stuff like that, so instead I typed "Savings Goals" in the search box for this forum and... next thing you know I'm reading through a bunch of idea & suggestion posts.

Then I got the bright idea to make a list of these ideas & suggestions and before you know it I had a spreadsheet going to try and sort out all the good ideas on ways to improve Savings Goals - or at least ways that Simplifi users think the SG feature can be upgraded to a more powerful, better integrated and easy to use feature.

I ended up gleaning 31 current Feature Request related to Savings Goals.  There may be more but, hey, I do actually have a life :smile:

To get my head wrapped around all these possible feature requests, I sorted them into 6 roughly themed groups. Some of the requests are duplicate ideas but most are unique though some do dovetail with others. 

Here's what I came up with:

1. Automation Feature Requests
  • Automatic SG contributions
  • Ability to include SG contribution from split income transactions
  • 1:1 mapping of Saving Goal and a Savings Account
  • Ability to contribute  Savings Goals from "By Account View"
  • Ability to set a default account for a SG's contributions
  • Ability to set a target goal balance that when reached contributions are suspended and when balance drops below target amount contributions become active until balance is reached again. This would be an ongoing SG with no end date. 
2. Flexibility Feature Requests
  • Ability to rearrange the SG tiles on SG page
  • Ability to change date for SG contributions to previous month
  • Ability to create a SG with NO goal amount
  • Adjust following months contribution based on current months contribution or
  • Ability to make an extra contribution to a SG but NOT have it counted in current months' Spending Plan - i.e, the ability to choose to ignore a contribution
  • Add additional contribution frequency choices, i.e. bi-weekly, weekly.
  • Add a greater variety of SG image icons
3. Tracking Feature Requests
  • There are at least six requests for some kind of SG register feature ranging from a full on SG register that includes "register/ledger view, detailed transaction entry, scheduling of transactions, etc., carry negative balances, include transfers to/from them in yearly budget" to as "simple" as a SG spending history.
  • Add a note field to SGs
  • Show a breakdown of what Savings Goals an account has contributed to in Account Balances
4. Funding Source Feature Requests
  • Contribute to SGs from investment accounts
  • Contribute to SGs from loans and debt accounts
  • (Select a default account for SG contributions)
5. Matching Goal to Transactions Feature Requests
  • Ability to assign or match a transaction to a SG
  • Can't figure out how to summarize this request so here it is in full: "Savings Goals add back to Spending Plan when used: Logically if to contribute reduces the money in my spending plan, then it should add back to the spending plan when used. So, whether this is for a big expenditure or some goal, I would think it best to: 1. Add those expenses to the spending plan (e.g., vacation or yearly property tax) 2. Match those with the funds pulled out of savings."
6. Completed Goals Feature Requests
  • Fully funded (completed) SG to remain visible in the Dashboard until money is spent on the goal.
  • Ability to mark a SG complete and then have any unused funds released back to "Available" in the Account the funds were saved in.
  • Ability to close out a completed SG and archive or delete the completed Goal
That's a lot of stuff! Not sure how useful this analysis is, but it does demonstrate an engaged and thoughtful Simplifi user community.

This is not an endorsement by me of any of these feature requests, this is simply an attempt to sort out the conversation regarding Savings Goals.

Some of these requests have been marked as either under development or under consideration by the development team. Some of these ideas/requests have been around for one or two years.  Almost all of them have additional comments in support of, suggestions to further refine and even arguments against the feature request.

I didn't attempt to tally up how many times a user posted a question or shared an idea and was referred by one of the Coaches or another user to one of these feature request posts with the suggestion to add an up vote for the feature.  That those posts exist demonstrates that a number of these requests are not just one-off ideas.  

Whether or not these idea/feature requests can be integrated into Simplifi's architecture is a matter for the development team, but it is evident that Simplifi users are committed to seeing OUR financial management/budgeting tool of choice continue to grow and improve.

If you have read this far, and if you would like the links to each of the feature requests used in this little exercise in analysis just let me know and I'll list them for you.
Danny
Simplifi user since 01/22
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Wow, that is a lot! Thanks for sharing, @DannyB. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Seriously great work @DannyB!  I'm so happy your in the community.  Thank you for not cleaning your windows!

My three takeaways from your summary:
    1. There's consensus in the community that, while they're a good start, Savings Goals aren't there yet.
    2. Savings Goals would be good place for Simplifi Developers to focus their considerable talents next.
    3. We've got a good and active Simplifi community!
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.