There are a few features of the old Quicken I am missing in Simplifi (edited)

Options
PG_Only
PG_Only Member
edited December 2022 in Managing Your Transactions
There are a few features of the old Quicken I am missing in Simplifi.  I was using a ~2015 disk version and I found making transaction entries a lot easier.  I find making manual entries a lot easier than accessing bank accounts. A key stroke got you a new entry field. It retained the relative location of your previous entry. It remembered similar entries, as the new one does, and prompted one for a category and that category stuck with the entry.  Changing it was easy and it still retained a memory of previously used categories.  There was a field for check numbers which could be used for other entries as well.  It kept a running balance.  I'm not sure why Quicken felt it was necessary to drop these "easy to use" features when developing Simplifi.  Perhaps these features disappeared when Quicken went subscription based. I thought the whole idea was to make Quicken easier to use rather than more difficult.

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @PG_Only,

Regarding “remembering similar entries” and auto categorization, do you use Simplifi >  Settings > Payees & Rules?  This is Simplifi’s way of allowing you to automatically rename and categorize synced transactions according to your wishes.  I have noticed some oddities related to this when it comes to non-synced transactions.

Are the transactions you’re experiencing problems with synced or manual transactions?
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @PG_Only,

I just saw your post here…

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/2561/ability-to-use-transaction-rules-for-manual-transactions-edited#latest

…which would explain your frustration.  Make sure to vote if you haven’t already.

Having come from Quicken Desktop to Simplifi myself, one change in thinking for me is that I almost exclusively just wait for transactions to clear instead of entering them manually.  This by-and-large has eliminated any frustration related to this for me.  In fact, so much so that I’ve added this to a list of ‘Simplifi’s Unwritten Rules’ that I’m compiling…

“If at all possible, don’t enter transactions manually.”

This approach hasn’t proven to be too big deal for me since I’ve seen transactions clear in as little as 2 minutes; the time it took me to cross the grocery stores parking lot!
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @PG_Only,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with the Community!

As @Flopbot mentioned, it looks like you already found the Idea post for using Transaction Rules for manual transactions here. I think what Quicken uses for this is called "Quickfill"; I'd say that using Transaction Rules for manual transactions would basically cover the same thing, however, I did update the Idea post to include "Quickfill" in the title to broaden the scope. 

Otherwise, we do have a couple of Idea posts regarding other items you mentioned that I'd definitely suggest checking out. 

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/3800/add-keyboard-shortcuts-edited/p1?new=1

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/19/running-balance-column-edited/p1?new=1

Let us know if you have any questions!

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.