What is the rationale for my home's value being included in the cash flow graph?

Options
System
System Administrator admin
edited February 2023 in Troubleshooting
This discussion was created from comments split from: Save account selections on "Upcoming > Cash Flow" page [edited] (6 Merged Votes).
Tagged:

Best Answers

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It seems to me that there is no flow of cash with my home's value in any case. What is the rationale for my home's value being included in this graph at all? It doesn't belong there.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @ajbopp,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

Since you're able to create Recurring Transactions for any account you've added in Simplifi, including asset accounts, I would imagine this is the reason why it would be listed as an account on the Upcoming>Cash Flow page. The Projected Cash Flow uses your Recurring Transactions for part of the projections; you may find more details on this here

Since you've already added your vote to the request to save account selections on the Upcoming>Cash Flow page, if you'd like to see asset accounts (or any other account type) not listed here, or have the ability to hide certain accounts from this page, I'd suggest creating a separate Idea post requesting this ability so other users can vote on it and our Product Team can review it. 

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/998/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @ajbopp

Technically all property can be included in net worth since these are all asserts that have cash value.  You can certainly exclude property from you net worth report but usually especially houses are in included as this is an asset that typically increases in value over time.  If you have a mortgage on the house, including it will offset the mortgage.  Also, as the balance of the mortgage goes down the value you have in the house will go up, so in essence cash does flow into a real estate holding.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @DannyB I think the concern is whether or not properties should be included in CASH FLOW not NET WORTH.  Specifically, I don't think there will typically be planned changes in value in the future.  As opposed to a checking/credit/savings account where you might have scheduled 'known transactions' coming.

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ah yes, missed that somehow.  Indeed, the cash flow graph is set to include ALL accounts by default forcing the user to have to unselect accounts that shouldn’t be included in cash flow every time you look at the cash flow report.  There are feature requests to change this.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.