Spending Plan>Future Months>Savings Goal not updating or wrong (Problem Returned)

Options
RobWilk
RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Report a Bug

For May, it's showing my savings goal as :

which would be terrific, if it were accurate, but it's about $1.60 off.

Last time I reported this issue, it fixed itself after waiting some time (could've been an hour).

As of now, I can open a new incognito window, and the problem is still there.

These are the numbers that should add up to the above (my savings goals):

The first screenshot adds up to: $990.74

The second screenshot adds up to: $607.66

Adds up to $1598.40 which -should- be what simplifi is telling me

But instead it's telling me $1600 which it was earlier before I updated a savings goal after making an extra contibution…. It's just not updating.. I think it will update eventually but it's not clear how i can trigger an update.

Rob Wilkens

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Separately, now that i've done the math, I will add $1.60 to another goal, so the correct number -will- become $1600. Again, i just don't think i should have to add up these numbers myself to find out how much I am off

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that this behavior has popped back up for you.

I'm wondering if there may be a delay in numbers updating in the Spending Plan after changes are made (I think the Product Team mentioned this as an issue recently, though I'm not sure if it was resolved). When you make changes to your Savings Goals that you expect to see reflected in the Spending Plan, have you tried signing out and back into Simplifi to see if doing so refreshes things? Or even just refreshed the page?

If so, and if the issue is still occurring, please provide the specific steps to reproduce the issue, such as what changes were made, the specific Goal that was edited or contributed to, what those edits or contributions were, etc., so I can attempt to replicate the behavior. I'm not sure that I'll be able to since I have minimal Savings Goals, however, the more details you can provide for us to attempt to reproduce the behavior, the better.

Also, have you noticed any patterns, such as the issue occurring when editing or contributing to one specific Goal, Goals with a specific Target Date such as one that is set for the current month, or anything along those lines that may help narrow down the behavior?

Thanks in advance!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

This is likely the delay you heard about if in fact you heard about it from the development team.

I'll try to build an example here, unfortunately, I can't try with a clean dataset so i have to work with my existing goals,

1. I have an 'autosave' contribution to savings of $1600 every payday
    2. As a result, I'd like my savings goals to 'consume' that autosave amount.
    3. Right now, every monthly contribution adds up to $1600 (as visible by the following months spending plan, where the current month's plan may be affected by extra contributions).
    4. Let's try an example, here is a sample savings goal:

Now let's say i deposit $15 extra into that goal because my per day amount went unused hypothetically.

That makes "Saved So Far" to be $58. So, I would be able to reduce my monthly contribution to this goal (for use in other goals) — $561.62 - 58 = $503.62 remaining - divide that by 11 months to get $45.79 monthly contribution.

So I make $46.80 to be $45.79

$46.80 - $45.79 = I should be $1.01 below $1600 in total contibutions now

But it is still $1600 when I look at May on the spending plan under savings goals, which it was before i started

— Because this is real data I'm now going to put it back the way it was, I'm going to withdraw the $15 from the savings goal, I'm going to make the contibution monthly back to $46.80

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

Thank you for providing an example!

I'm still not personally seeing any calculation errors or delayed updates with Savings Goals in the Spending Plan. Since there is an obvious math discrepancy, let's go ahead and get this reported as a basic calculation error and let the Product Team pick through it and determine the issue. To do so, please provide the following information:

1. A fresh screenshot of all of your Savings Goals listed in the Spending Plan with a wide enough scope to see all of the details for each of the Goals, such as the Name and the 'Contributed' status, as well as the Spending Plan Savings Goals total. I will add all of the amounts together and then take a screenshot of my calculator to include in the ticket so it can be compared to the total being displayed in the Spending Plan.
    2. The browser and browser OS you're using to access Simplifi.
    3. The OS of the computer you're accessing Simplifi from.

Please also submit your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Browser and OS was Chrome and MacOS

However, I happen to be on my new Chromebook which also runs chrome so the results should be similar.

Before taking the screeenshots i will put the dataset back into the state that it was in during the previous message— the 'error state'..

Above overlaps with apple developer below so don't repeat that

And below pickup in the bottom half below "2/24 MyFitnessPal"

And for my sanity I will use a calculator now:

I'm getting 1602.57 on first attempt, which is still not $1600 which it says

But now i'll try a second time:

First Screen Total: $920.79

Second Screen Total: $153.08

Third Screen Total: $528.70

Again, Adds up to $1602.57 but both on Mac and Chromebook it's showing $1600 in screenshots

==

Now I'm going to put my dataset back the way it was, where it was still broken

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

For the chromebook, where screenshots came from-

Chrome- Version 111.0.5563.118 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Chrome OS - Version 111.0.5563.118 (Official Build) (64-bit)

On ChromeOS, the feedback option does not work (holding alt makes the option appear, but if i alt+click i just get a pop-up menu (like right clicking), and if I let go of alt the option goes away.

I submitted feedback on MacOS Ventura 13.2.1

Browser Chrome 111.0.5563.146 (Official Build) (arm64)

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Okay - the difference now in those screenshots is $1.01 which is what i just adjusted it by before taking the screenshots.. So it had updated… When I looked earlier it was stuck at $1600 but in those scree nshots its stuck at $1603.58 — which is, again $1.01 off — so the earlier update happened, but it took a lot of time (hours?)..

Right now it's showing $1602.57 which was my total 2 messages back, but I added $1.01 back to my goal so it now shouldd be $1603.58

Here, update screenshots

Adds up to $1603.58 but in about an hour (?) it will be right in the spending plan

Rob Wilkens

• altChristopher
    altChristopher Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I also thought of one thing, although I highly doubt it resolves the issue, but I thought I would mention it. I sometimes see a delay in Savings Goals, like they are doing some server-side recalculation.

I am curious if Simplifi is using some microservice type architecture and queue handlers are not adequately resizing or what is happening.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm "used to" going to the savings goals on spending plan and seeing a 3-5 second delay before it updates —- but in recent days the delay could be an hour or more. I wonder if the number of savings goals I have complicates matters

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

Thank you for providing the requested information!

I have gone ahead and gotten this escalated and will be sure to post back as soon as an update becomes available.

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-15966

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

I just wanted to touch base to see if this issue is still occurring for you. Please let us know, thank you!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's happening less frequently, but in the last 2 weeks it was happening.

However, I've simplified my savings goals by paying off every savings goal (22 out of 23 of them) in total except for one long term one. So with only one active savings goal at the moment, it's easier to keep track of how much is going to savings goal(s).

So I'm less likely to need this to respond fast now.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@RobWilk, is this issue still occurring for you? If so, can you send a fresh example so I can share it with our Product Team?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am no longer seeing this.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.