Ability to assign a transaction from one month to a different month's Spending Plan (edited)

Options
Danielle
Danielle Member
edited May 2023 in Feature Requests

I would like to be able to add a transaction that is spent in one month, to the next month spending plan ( without having to change the original transaction date.) EX- I spend money for an expense on the 28th of the month and I want it to reflect in the next month spending plan. That way it doesn't appear that I have gone over in a month or look like I have extra in the next month.

8 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That kinda seems like cheating, to me. If I get a tank of gas on the 28th, it's true that most of that gas will be consumed in the next calendar month and that's the period of time I bought it for. But the fact remains that I did actually pay for it in the current calendar month. If I didn't want it to be reflected in this month's spending, I should have waited a couple of days for the month to roll over. As it is, I did, in fact, go over my spending plan for gas, even though it may have been considerably more inconvenient to wait.

If the same situation happens again in May, then it's an indication that I need to do something different with my spending plan.

Adding the ability to push around dates like that, drawing a distinction between "actual dates" and "effective dates" seems like a road to confusion and ultimately goes against everything Simplifi is trying to do for us.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• tardisgirlnic
    Options

I'd like to second what Danielle indicated. I don't think it's cheating. When you have a paycheck that's supposed to hit the first of the month and you're using that income for the first of the month, its difficult to adjust this to reflect correctly without adjusting the dates. I do not like changing the actual dates for transactions when they are downloaded but that income that's just hitting my account early is for the following month's spending plan. And I typically am paying bills as soon as the check hits to move money out of my account so then end up with other transactions that are 'early' for that next month. It would be nice to be able to link/select in the current month's spending plan for at least the income to move it around.