Implement Passkeys (edited)

Options
AzMurph
AzMurph Member
edited May 2023 in Feature Requests

I've been getting up to speed with passkeys over the past week with a few of my accounts now starting to support it. Once I got the hang of it, I really like it. And once you can remove the password all together, it seems really secure. Are passkeys on any short to medium term implementation roadmap?

Tagged:
9 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @AzMurph,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

I'm not aware of any plans to implement Passkeys, however, I'm not sure that we'd even be able to. When researching Passkeys, it looks like it's an authentication platform of Google's to be able to access their own products, such as Gmail and YouTube. Since Simplifi is not a Google product, I don't think this would be doable.

With that said, would you mind providing a bit more details as to what specifically you're looking for with Simplifi? Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• AzMurph
    AzMurph Member
    Options

Sounds like you haven't been looking into it yet so it'll be awhile. Passkeys are not a Google product. If you just did a web search you would see a lot of Google association to it because they just enabled it for Google accounts last week. It's supported by Google, Apple, and Microsoft to replace passwords. It's not something that any company owns or controls.

Here's a better link to start to get educated on it. I'm not an expert on it by any means, but have used it on a few accounts that have enabled it and it's pretty great from a user perspective. And since it's supposed to be more secure than passwords and two factor, double bonus. But, it's early days.

https://fidoalliance.org/passkeys/

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Passkeys are supported, for example, by Microsoft Edge (which i'm now using primarily on my Mac)… As a user, It works like this, on a site like google (or even Best Buy supports them), on login it asks for a fingerprint (or screen unlock) rather than a password. No passwords are exchanged, somewhere a secure 'key' was set up when the account was first installed on that machine.

Now here's a slight negative, for someone like me, who has destroyed computers and swapped out cell phones during a mental health episode, I could be left without a way to login to accounts.

Edit: I should disclose something by saying thank you to best buy for many free products that they've given me to review since 2016.

Rob Wilkens

• AzMurph
    AzMurph Member
    Options

For that case of changing devices, it backs up across your devices depending on what vault you use. So, your iCloud, Google account, or Microsoft Authenticator would hold the passkeys to be transferred to the new device. But I expect you would need another device (like laptop, phone, tablet) or to have a recovery code just like now with two factor authentication. I've read that 1Password and Dashlane are about to begin support of it too so that would imply all password managers like Bitwarden, etc would also get there. Here is one of 1Passwords blog post about it.

https://blog.1password.com/passkeys-vs-passwords-differences/

Anyway — I don't mean to push it too much. I'm not a tech person. I just enabled a few of accounts with it and really like using it and the idea of it. it's early so it'll be a few years for this to become standard, but financial information seems like a great place to start. On the ones I've enabled so far, they are keeping passwords as a backup for now, but I expect in a couple of years they'll then start removing the passwords once they get the majority of users on the passkeys and get the kinks worked out.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @AzMurph,

Thanks for confirming and providing additional info!

Although I'm not aware of any plans amongst our Product Team to implement Passkeys, the best way to get the request in front of them is by creating an Idea post so other users can vote on it. With that said, I did go ahead and turn this post into an Idea post requesting Passkeys.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• AzMurph
    AzMurph Member
    Options

Thanks for doing that. Much appreciated!

• bharing
    Options

Implement Passkey support to log in to Simplifi

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

This idea exists here, it has 5 votes as of this writing:

[removed link to merged thread]

Rob Wilkens