Duplicate Transactions?

Options
Diver4242
Diver4242 Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Troubleshooting

I'm reviewing the spending in some of my budget categories by clicking the transactions to see them, and I'm seeing a lot of duplicates in our checking account. Same transaction/vendor/date repeated twice. I also see them in the Transaction view. I seem to remember a problem with this in the first part of June. Known problem?

Tagged:

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

This is not something I deal with very much - at all - so it’s not a known issue for me. Some others seem to have more problems with this so maybe it’s more of a bank thing?

See Scott’s good summary on your available options. Also, if the idea pertains to you, you can vote for it.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you manually enter transactions? (I do.) if so, when your bank downloads transactions, it may or may not match them to your manual transactions. If they don't match, you may need to manually match them, which trains the algorithm on how to match transactions better in the future. I had a problem with my Amazon (synchrony) account like that, which is now fixed.

In the case that these are downloading duplicates without manual transactions, you may want to let someone (I noticed other coaches posting here recently, so it's unclear which will respond) know which bank has this problem, as it may be a problem with the service that connects the bank transactions to your account (At least some banks get this connection via a 3rd party outside of Simplifi, as I recently discovered with my paypal mastercard - but the problem I reported got to them and they fixed it within about a week).

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Blake
    Coach Blake Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi there, @Diver4242!
    Thank you for taking the time to post here in our community regarding your transaction's duplicating. I do need a little bit more detail on what is happening to know if it is something on our end or a issue on your financial institutions end.

Is this happening with one specific financial institution or all your accounts?
    Is it keeping one pending and then the cleared or are both cleared?
    Are you editing the pending transaction before its cleared?
    Are these recurring transactions?
    Is it happening with one specific Payee or different ones?

I appreciate any additional details you can provide.

Coach Blake

• Diver4242
    Diver4242 Member ✭✭
    Options

We use Fidelity Investments (the big green Fidelity) for our checking account. I think this is a combination of both of those things.

At some point this month, I realized that our bank does incorporate pending transactions into the balance, so I had to make the setting change to Simplifi so our balance was correct (ignore pending transactions I think?). I think I saw duplicates mostly from earlier in the month, so maybe Simplifi downloaded them again or something.

A few of these were manual transactions I entered for paper checks I had written for graduation and birthday gifts. Simplifi didn't match on those, so bad on Simplifi on that one, should have been easy as the check # and amount were identical to what I had entered.

I love the product, but hope some of the snags can be worked out soon, it's a lot of work to stay on top of the many nuances and if I can't trust the info, I can't use the product.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no check number field.. so it should match a near date and amount. I believe some have requested a check no. Field so you can probably vote on that idea post.

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@Diver4242 , here's the Idea Post @RobWilk is referring to about Check Field. If that's something you'd like to see, add your vote. If you scroll through the comments on that Idea Post, you'll find a pretty thorough description of how I handle my checks.

[corrected link for Idea post]

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Diver4242
    Diver4242 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, split transactions are a pain point in many ways. Another example is I want to hide certain categories from the spending plan and report. But, if on some transactions they are inside a split, I cannot do that.

This discussion has been closed.