New recurring planned spending expenses applied to all past months (edited)

Options
itzsaga
itzsaga Member
edited September 2023 in Report a Bug

Hello, I've noticed that when I create a new recurring [planned spending] expense it creates it for all months. This includes past months. I would expect that it only creates it for the current month and months moving forward.

This makes it very difficult to review past months and better understand spending habits or balance things.

In my particular case I realized that a scheduled transfer only started later than expected. When I went into the past to remove it from my spending plans and understand how much extra I now have in my bank account it's impossible to figure out as all the plans are reflecting new recurring expenses that have been created since.

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you mean recurring transaction or monthly planned expense? If the former, set your next date to a future date.

Rob Wilkens

• itzsaga
    itzsaga Member
    Options

Unsure how I missed the response on my original post linked below but since it has been closed I'll continue here.

The question asked was:

To answer @RobWilk, this is a monthly planned expense. An example, if I add a new monthly expense as pictured

today August 15, 2023 and then go look at my July 2023 spending plan the new expense will show up in July as well.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @itzsaga,

Thanks for confirming the issue!

I just tested this by adding a new Monthly Planned Spending expense in the month of August, and then went back to July and didn't see it, but did see it when moving forward to September, so it doesn't seem that I'm able to reproduce this issue and everything is behaving as expected. To be sure, though, would you mind providing the steps to reproduce in a numbered format, please?

Also, have you noticed this occurring when creating any Monthly Planned Spending expense, or is it with a certain Category, etc.? If you use the Simplifi Mobile App, does the issue occur there as well? Also, I'd suggest giving it a try on the Web App (as it looks like you're using from your screenshot) from a different browser and/or in incognito or private mode to see if the issue is still presented. Any help in narrowing down the behavior would be wonderful.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• itzsaga
    itzsaga Member
    Options

Thanks @Coach Natalie, I can't reproduce it either right this moment. Though, my account history definitely shows things back to when I first subscribed in Nov 21 that were created afterwards.

e.g. I had no pet until Aug of 2022 and that's when I added the recurring Pet Food expense. I also added the custom Plan It expense in Sept of 2022 for a 12 months payment plan I went on. I didn't create a Savings expense until I better learned how the Savings Goals worked and their quirks.

It very well may have been fixed along the way and I'll see if it comes up again with better reproduction steps. Wanted to ensure I documented the examples I have still living in my account today.

An additional suggestion is it would be nice if the issue was fixed along the way that a one time job is run to cleanup all these expense items in plans < their created dates or exposing when an expense was created in the UI.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @itzsaga,

Thanks for posting back!

Since most bug fixes aren't retroactive and instead just stop the behavior from reoccurring, I'd suggest manually deleting the incorrect items in past month's Spending Plans, and then keeping an eye on things moving forward to see if the issue pops back up. If the issue occurs again, we'll want to get it reported so they can fix whatever's causing it so it doesn't continue to occur for you. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.