How to Include all 'zelle' transfers as part of my expense reports and spending?

Options
knockknock
knockknock Member
edited September 2023 in Managing Your Transactions

I use zelle to settle splitwise balances mostly, but Simplifi automatically categorizes zelle transactions as Transfer. Is there a way I can bulk edit them to include as part of my report and Spending plans?

Is there any way to fiilter transactions and then bulk edit of some sort? Maybe change categories or tags? I can see multiple instances of some subscriptions tagged wrong, but want to fix them all at once. Is that possible?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @knockknock

Yes, you can bulk edit in Simplifi.

Go to the Transactions page and select the account you want to work with. Then either scroll trough the list and select the transactions you want to edit or you can to a search for transactions using a common criteria if there is one, and then you can click the box at the top left (to the left of "Account") to select all.

Once you make the selections a pencil icon will appear among the possible selection at the top right of the page. Select the penile icon and an "Edit multiple transactions" will popup and now you can select what you want to edit for all selected transactions from the list.

Hope that helps.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer

Answers

• Biff
    Biff Member
    Options

Great response, @DannyB. What about creating rules for upcoming transactions? I've noticed Zelle transactions have unique IDs, so even if part of the Payee is the same, the unique ID within each Payee name forces Simplifi to treat it as a unique entry in the list.

I'd like to set up a Rule to categorize all Zelle transactions with matching parts of the transaction.

For example, "Zelle Transfer Conf#abcdefg123 Toys"
    I'd like to set up a rule where all "Zelle Transfer" + "Toys" are categorized as Toys.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Biff

I only have one recurring transaction I pay through Zelle. I have quite a few one off payments and I don't bother creating a renaming and/or categorizing rule for the one offs.

My only suggestion is to go to Settings > Rules & Payees. In the upper right hand corner of the page (Web app) there is a blue "+ Rule" button. When you click on this button you will open the "Add new rule " page. You have two options for creating a new rule: "New payee name rule" and "New category rule".

New payee let's you define the payee name and what criteria to use. This criteria is where you would insert such things as "Zelle" "Toys" and/or any other unique identifiers available in the downloaded transaction that will distinguish it. You may have to play around a little to get the results you are looking for.

When you create the new rule Simplifi may find all the transactions that fit the rule and give you the option to apply the rule to all those transactions. You can review the transactions Simplif found before applying the rule to the found transactions.

This support article gives you all the details for how to use both options.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4792733-how-to-use-transaction-rules

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Biff
    Biff Member
    Options

@DannyB This worked beautifully! Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.