Ability to link or tie Savings Goals contributions/withdraws to transactions (edited)

Options
andrew1030
andrew1030 Member
edited October 2023 in Feature Requests

I really like using the Saving Goals feature but sometimes my transactions view gets messy because I have the deposit from my checking account as an outgoing transaction and a deposit into my savings as income. I'd love if there was a way to tie the "Contributed" function of the Savings Goal Feature to those transactions. Thanks! 

35 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @andrew1030,

Thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community!

I found a similar request that may cover what you're looking for when it comes to linking transactions to Savings Goals -- https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/1357/link-from-transaction-to-take-from-savings-goal#latest

However, it sounds like this request is for the ability to contribute to Goals from transactions specifically, which would ultimately link the Goal to the transaction, but may be a different approach than what you're looking for. Would you mind confirming for me, please? :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • andrew1030
    andrew1030 Member
    Options
    Your assessment is correct! Though I also love the other request!
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Thanks for confirming @andrew1030!

-Coach Natalie
  • avihawver
    avihawver Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Currently the only way to track a savings goal is to initiate the transaction from Simplifi itself?? But there's no way to link that goal to transfers/transactions that have already gone through.

Please also add the ability to add a date to a recurring monthly savings amount, so we can see it in our projected cash flow!

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I did a search for this in the forum and found several requests but no idea posts, so I'm putting one out there.

It's not really possible to contribute or withdraw from a Savings Goal without there being a transaction behind the move. It would make SGs a lot more intuitive and accurate if activity were tied to transactions, and it would also allow users to see the history of their SG transactions.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Bluebells
    Options

When I “withdraw” money from a savings goal I want to either 1) have that money appear in my spending plan so it’s clear that I’m using money from savings that month and not going over budget, or 2) more ideally, be able to connect expenses directly to the savings goal, in the same way we’re able to connect expenses to tickets in the refund tracker. This would better visualize how Savings goal money is being allocated to expenses, and make Spending Plan more accurate.

• np25
    np25 Member
    Options

Agree with all comments above. The savings goal feature is minimally useful without the ability to link transactions to savings goals. When I tag a transaction as a specific savings goal, the credit or debit should automatically show up as a withdrawal or contribution to said savings goal.