Long list of pending transactions which never clear

Options
Buchhalter
Buchhalter Member
edited September 2023 in Managing Your Transactions

I'm a relatively new user of Simplify so apologies if this is a well-known "feature." When I go to the Transactions view there is a long list of pending transactions (in my case - about 50 of them stretching back to July 2022, all types of accounts). They don't seem to clear, there is no way to dismiss them and honestly, they are not helpful at all (the way they are). Is it something with my setup or is it work ad designed. And what would be the right way to prune this list to only leave truly pending transactions?

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Transactions normally clear when they download from your bank. If that's not happening, you may want to reset connection (from account settings) to make sure your bank connection is properly connected. Be advised once it downloads from the bank, it typically won't download again for 3-5 hours. If the problem continues to happen, @Coach Natalie (real support) will probably show up here and ask for an example bank name so they can check if there are known issues with that bank. I'm not official support, I'm just another user who is not currently having the problem you are reporting

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Buchhalter

Welcome to Simplifi!

In addition to or after resetting your bank connections as Rob suggested, and if you still have that list of pending transactions there are a couple of other things you can do.

1. Check to see if the transaction(s) has downloaded into your ledger as a cleared transaction and if it has, you can either merge the pending and cleared transactions or you can delete the "duplicate" pending transaction.
    2. If you know the transaction(s) have cleared at your bank and the transaction(s) are still listed as pending, you can mark the transaction cleared manually

To change status or delete the transaction click on the 3 dot menu at the right edge of the transaction and select "View transaction". Once the transaction window opens you can change the status to "Cleared" and then click "Update" at the bottom right of the window. If you want to delete the transaction the "Delete" option is next to the "Update" bottom.

To merge the transactions select both transactions using the check box at the left side of the transactions and a "merge" icon will appear in the toolbar at the top right of the register.

This support article has more details about managing transactions.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Buchhalter
    Buchhalter Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thank you for the detailed responses! I have actually reached out to [Simplifi] support a couple days earlier who successfully addressed my issue. In a nutshell:

• While talking to the support, i've noticed that the list of pending transactions date-wise can be split in 2 groups: one spanning July 2022 - Feb 2023, and another one from June 2023 onewards, with nothing in between.
    • Turns out the latter group is fine - it is indeed a list of pending transactions that will update as we go.
    • The former group however is related to the Chase bank API change that happened roughly in the former period. Part of the API change was change in how pending transactions are reported by Chase. My account might have fallen a victim of a bug associated with this transition.
    • The best way to address it is indeed changing the transaction status in the transaction detail screen (which I didn't manage to notice when trying to fix the problem myself).

So to summarize, there is no problem with real recent pending transactions. For "stale" ones, should they happen, one can simply clear them.

Again, thank you for your help!

This discussion has been closed.