Cash Accounts with CDs Unavailable Cash

Options
jtjones0304
jtjones0304 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Investments

I have a Fidelity Cash account I use to pay specific bills. I take some of the idle cash and invest in CDs. I'd like to be able to track the total account value with the cash and CD but also showing only the available cash in projected cash flow. When the CD matures, it should show as an inflow of future cash. This allows me to properly manage future cash flows to time CD maturities with demand for bills.

Currently, the Fidelity Cash account in Simplifi is setup as a Savings account and does not break out the CD as an unavailable balance. The CD purchase shows as an outflow in the register but the balance still properly includes cash and CDs.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @jtjones0304,

Thanks for posting your experience to the Community!

To clarify, are you looking for advice from other users who may have a similar situation, are you suggesting a change for Simplifi, or are you reporting a balance discrepancy? If the latter, what is the reported balance on the bank's website compared to what Simplifi shows?

Also, it could be the way the bank sends in the balance. For example, I have a Share Savings account at my local credit union and they hold $25 as my "share" amount; although Simplifi and Quicken receive the total balance for the account including the $25, I see $25 less when viewing the account balance on the bank's app. This definitely seems to be by design.

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• jtjones0304
    jtjones0304 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Natalie. It is actually the latter. Fidelity’s balance includes available cash and CDs. The hope would be to only show available cash to forecast the timing of CD maturities. I don’t know if Fidelity send those positions

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @jtjones0304,

Thanks for confirming!

If the balance in Simplifi matches the balance on the bank's website, then it doesn't sound like there's an actual balance discrepancy present. Since the bank is who provides the balance to Simplifi, I'd suggest contacting them to see if they can provide the available balance instead of the total balance. It might also be possible to create completely separate accounts for the CDs so they can be tracked separately in Simplifi with individual balances.

Otherwise, we do have an existing Idea post requesting the ability to project CD balances that you may be interested in checking out (although I know this won't resolve the matter at hand):

Sorry for not having a better answer, but I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.