Trying to figure out what I'm missing here

Options
benk
benk Member
edited September 2023 in Troubleshooting

I've added every one of my (considerable) bills and subscriptions.

I start with [$INCOME.00] amount of income. (this is 2 paychecks; Simplifi is correct)

Simplifi tells me after [$BILLS.00] and [$SUBSCRIP.00], I have [$DISCRET.00] left in discretionary cash.

Okay, so I took that number and planned out an automatic transfer, moving [$DISCRET.00] from the BILLS/SUBSCRIP account that receives my paychecks into a savings account.

Theoretically this should zero out my cashflow every month.

What Simplifi shows is that it doesn't.

In fact, I can increase the monthly [$DISCRET.00] transfer up to 133% before it zeroes out the account each month.

I'm in a pickle, because I want to know how much I can afford to move out of the BILLS/SUBSCRIP account every month. I'm getting a different figure from 2 parts of this app.

Any clues?

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@benk

I’m just yes guessing here, but have you checked whether or not your transfers are included in your spending plan? By default transfers are excluded.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Benk , could you provide a screenshot of the setting for the transfer "moving [$DISCRET.00] from the BILLS/SUBSCRIP account"? Maybe that would help us help you.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • benk
    benk Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Flopbot Here ya go, thanks! But on the cashflow projection you can see this recurring transaction occurring each month correctly—it raises the Savings account balance and lowers the Bills account balance once a month simultaneously.

I created this recurring transaction /after/ seeing the "amount left over" calculated by Simplifi. I want to know if the discrepancy means 1. that the cashflow graph is inaccurate, or 2. that i have more available each month than the Bills/Subscriptions math concludes.

To clarify - I don't think the transfer itself should zero out the Bills account immediately, but rather that it should bring the account, at its lowest point in the month, to 0.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @benk,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

I'd suggest taking a look at each of the dots in the Projected Cash Flow graph to see what specific Reminders are being included for that account and how Simplifi is calculating these items to provide you with the projection that you're seeing.

You might also consider contacting our Support Team directly, as they have the ability to engage in a screen share session with you to get a clearer idea of what's going on; without seeing actual numbers here in the Community due to the redacted info in the screenshots, it's hard to get a clear picture. A private chat session with screen share may be a better option for you in troubleshooting this. 🙂

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

-Coach Natalie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @benk

@Coach Natalie 's suggestion is your best bet I'm guessing.

But here are a few questions and thoughts:

• Do you designate any of the [$DISCRET.00] funds for Planned Spending?
    • Are all of your recurring bills and subscriptions paid out of your expense checking account?
    • If not are you accounting for recurring bills and/or subscriptions that are paid by other means, i.e. credit cards?
    • Do you use any of the [$DISCRET.00] funds for Planned Spending categories?

In my experience, the future cashflow prediction charts have limited use since they don't take into consideration all factors in a single combined chart - each account in Simplifi receives it's very own unique cashflow chart. My recurring bills & subscriptions are paid via checking and several credit cards. Because of this and because cc payments are set up as transfers and not bills, my checking account shows a continuous positive increase since only a some recurring and planned spending expenses come out of that account. By the same token my credit card accounts show an ever increasing amount of debt for the same reason, payments to these accounts are set up a transfers and excluded from my spending plan.

You also have to consider that Planned Spending is NOT included in the cashflow charts.

I know these points are not exactly pertinent to your question, but perhaps some things to consider as you work on what you are trying to do here.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.