Savings Goals Contributions Editing (edited)

Options
Mark H.
Mark H. Member
edited September 2023 in Using Savings Goals

I noticed that I had allocated the wrong account to fund several of my Savings Goals.

I thought I could Edit the goal but I am unable to change the account it’s being funded from.

In addition, if I delete the Saving Goal, the Tag that is creates remains and when I recreate the goals another Tag is created with a suffix.

Is this a user error?

Tagged:

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mark H.

I'm not quite sure about what you are asking here. When you set up a Savings Goal you are given the option to indicate how much if any funds you already have set aside for the goal and to designate which bank account that money resides in. If this is what you are talking about, I don't think you can edit that by editing the SG.

Instead, one way to correct a Savings Goal contribution for the wrong account is to first make a withdrawal from the SG using the "Withdraw for another purpose" option. This will return the funds to the account you contributed from and reduce what is held in the SG. Next you can make a new contribution to that SG making sure you select the account you want to contribute from.

Another option is to do what it sounds like you did and delete the SG outright. This also will "return" all funds to the contributing account(s).

I'm not sure what tag(s) you are seeing related to contributions to SGs. Maybe you could clarify that.

If you haven't already read it, here is the Support article on how to use Savings Goals:

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • pawebb
    pawebb Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

EDIT: I don't know why I responded like this was my original post. 🤦🏻‍♂️Apparently I ran into the same issue! lol

Thanks, @DannyB. Your second paragraph is what I needed. I had contributed from checking and meant to contribute from savings.

re: Tags, every time I create a goal the tool creates a corresponding tag. When I deleted the goal it does not delete the tag that was created. So in the problem I hit earlier, I had created a goal for my wife's RN License and then deleted it to put the money back. I then created a new goal and named it the same "RN License". I noticed it created a new tag and added a 1 to the name.

I tried deleting the "RN License" tag (successfully) and modifying the "RN License 1" tag, but the system will not allow changes to the name. And I cannot delete the RN Lic 1 tag because it is in use by the goal.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark H. All you have to do is withdraw "for another purpose" the money from the wrong account, and redeposit ("contribute") from the right account. That should've been all you need to 'edit' your goal the way you seem to be describing.

For example, if you previously contributed $1000 from Checking, but meant to contribute that from savings, withdraw the $1000 ("for another purpose" not "to spend for goal") back into the checking account, and deposit $1000 from savings.

Please note, this may or may not alter your monhtly contributions tracking, I'm not sure. It's not really important if it does, but for that month the numbers might look wrong.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Mark H. & @pawebb,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

It looks like @DannyB & @RobWilk have got you covered, however, I did want to also share this Idea post in case you were interested in adding your vote and feedback:

In regards to deleted Savings Goals not also deleting the associated Tag (and the issues this behavior is causing), let's go ahead and create a separate post for this since it's an entirely separate issue. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.