All investment accounts/transactions excluded from reports?

Options
pkp
pkp Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Using Reports

This is like the opposite of the bug reported a few days ago. Now all my investment accounts are defaulted to being excluded from reports. Additionally, all Investment transactions from the past are now excluded from Reports and Spending, even the ones marked as Payment that I specifically had included in Reports before. Is this a new feature or a new bug? The only way to change this besides going through each transaction at a time is to toggle all the accounts in Settings. This seems like a pretty big change to default behavior that should be announced in app.

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @pkp & @DEA3,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

Yes, a change was implemented so that Investment Accounts are excluded from Reports and the Spending Plan by default. Additionally, the Investment Transaction Types that can be included in Reports and the Spending Plan ("cash flow" types), will also be ignored by default. You can change the visibility settings for both the Accounts and the Transactions manually, but the default behavior will be to exclude this data.

One really cool change that's coming with this, though, is the ability to exclude an account from the Spending Plan without also excluding it from Reports. I believe we can expect to see an "Exclude from Spending Plan" option added to the three-dot menu for accounts under Settings > Accounts early this week! In the meantime, this Idea post can be followed for progress:

With all of that said, as far as I'm aware, this is what can be expected for Investment Transactions being included in the Spending Plan and Reports moving forward, and is outlined in our Investment Transactions article:

• At this time, there are only certain Investment Transactions that can be included in Reports, the Spending Plan, and Watchlists, such as 'Payment/Deposit'. You'll be able to determine this ability at the transaction level by viewing the 'Exclusions' settings. These Investment Transaction Types, as well as the Investment Account itself, will be excluded by default. However, you can change the visibility settings for both the Investment Account and the Investment Transactions. All other Investment Transaction Types, such as 'Buys' and 'Sells', will always be excluded.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

Yes somethiNG CHANGED OVERNIGHT. Here is what I am seeing: The net worth report still HAS BUGS, EXCLUDED accounts are included in Net Worth report in the web version but not in the mobile version. But even more strange in the web version under the accounts list, accounts that are not excluded when you check the three dots, are marked excluded by the account name. Also we still need a global (not transaction by transaction) way to mark an account included but the data transactions NOT included.

• DEA3
    DEA3 Member
    Options

or if transactions in investment accounts are excluded by default that is ok with me too.

• pkp
    pkp Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Coach Natalie, thanks for the context. This change was definitely not only applied to Investment Transactions moving forward. This was applied to all transactions retroactively as well. So when I logged in over the weekend, suddenly all Investment transactions in the past that were previously part of my Reports suddenly disappeared from all Reports. I had to manually go into every account setting to toggle them back to not be Excluded. I don't mind this change, but I think the way it was done to change the default settings for all previous transactions as well was very confusing and disruptive. If I didn't spend some time debugging, I would not have noticed that my reports for previous time periods suddenly all changed. This can have significant implications for people who were not paying attention to this change.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@pkp, I apologize for the confusion. By "moving forward", I don't mean only new Investment Transactions; I mean that this is the behavior we can expect with Investment Transactions in Simplifi from here on out. There's been a lot of ongoing work with Investment Transactions, but I think this is how things will be from now on (at least as far as visibility in Reports and the Spending Plan goes).

I apologize for your experience with this change. Sadly, Investment Transactions have had a lot of kinks, and I personally think the feature was moved out of Early Access too soon and with too many bugs. But improvements are being made and hopefully even more to come, specifically having them not all download as Payment/Deposit and "Uncategorized". 🤞

We appreciate you hanging in there with us through all of this! 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@pkp @Coach Natalie Yep, all of my Brokerage transactions in my Spending Plan going back almost 3 years got changed retroactively to Ignore in Reports (and so also Spending Plan). I just changed them all back so that I can include this income. I won't say anything more.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

This discussion has been closed.