Planned Spending budget including transactions not in the category when transaction is split

Options
sgoldenb
sgoldenb Member
edited September 2023 in Report a Bug

I have two similar categories, but they are not nested: one is "Groceries" and the other is "Joint - Groceries". I have created a Planned Spending for "Groceries" only but Simplifi is accounting for the whole transaction when I have a split transaction that includes the tracked category "Groceries"; it is including the other transaction category incorrectly:

The whole "Costco" transaction was for $215.38 and that is what shows up on the Planned Spending report for "Groceries", which is incorrect

The transaction was split in two, and only $12 that are categorized as "Groceries" should be accounted for the Planned Spending, the $203.28 should be excluded as its different category

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @sgoldenb,

Thanks for posting to the Community regarding this behavior!

To clarify, split transactions are designed to show like this in the Spending Plan and Reports. However, the Category that's used for the Planned Spending expense is the only portion of the transaction that will actually be calculated in the Planned Spending item. We have a #TipTuesday that goes over this in more detail:

With that said, do you see the other portion of the transaction in Other Spending (the "Groceries" part)? It would show as "split" there also, but just the portion that's not being counted toward the Planned Spending item would be calculated here. I'd suggest taking a look at this, and also adding up all of the other transactions that are being counted in the Planned Spending item, including just the portion of splits that should be counted, to make sure the total is correct; this will tell you if there's an actual calculation error present, or if it's just a matter of the entire transaction displaying as "split".

If it's the latter, we do have an Idea post that can be voted on:

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.