Better explanation of Simplifi vs quicken

Options
Almad
Almad Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started

I've used quicken for over thirty years and frankly never have been a fan of it. I actually had to create a new quicken file because my data file was too large - which impacts the usefulness of quicken's historical reporting. I am considering simplifi, but would like a better explanation of the difference between the two products or at least a demo. If i am unable to bring over my quicken classic data, then i will consider a new product, because i got to think there is something better.

Best Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Almad

You might find this thread helpful. It goes into a bit of the differing approaches and the underlying differences for the two offerings. It lays out my personal thoughts; as someone who’s used both programs. Honestly though, Simplifi is a that “something better” you’re looking for. I would just challenge you to consider if you TRUELY need all that extensive history. Sure it would be nice, but is it just going to be a lot of extra work for very little gain. A fresh start can be very freeing to not just continue doing what you’ve always done just because you’ve always done it that way.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Almad

If you really want to import your extensive backlog of personal financial data, Simplifi is probably not your best choice. Frankly, I'm not sure any product would be a good choice for importing 30 years of data that wouldn't require a LOT of reworking. 7 years seems to be the golden number for keeping tax records for businesses.

Personally, I'm quite happy to leave all that data I've accumulated digitally over the past 30 years tucked away on a detached hard drive buried at the bottom of a box stashed away in a closet.

I've been using Simplifi for going on 2 years and find it to be the best solution for my day-to-day personal financial planning and tracking.

Just for the fun of it I'm using two other personal finapps alongside Simplifi for a 1 year comparison. I'm 3 months into this comparison and so far Simplifi continues to be my top choice. But the othere apps do have some features I would love to see in Simplifi, but the structure and usability of Simplifi beats both of the other apps.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.