Can't match reminder to transaction

Options
ellinj
ellinj Member
edited November 2023 in Bills and Income

I have a reminder for my Electric bill, I paid the bill using my credit card, the translation shows as cleared but simplify still shows the bill as unpaid. When I try to match it to the transaction, the transaction doesn't appear in the list. What am I doing wrong?

Tagged:

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @ellinj

One possibility is that the transaction as already been linked to a recurring series and if so it won't show up in the list you access through the reminder link.

To check this, go to your credit card register and find this transaction record. Hover over the transaction entry and click on the 3 dot menu on the right and click on "View transaction." In the Transaction detail window check to see if the transaction has already been linked. You can choose to unlink the transaction if it is linked and then it should show up in the list of transaction brought up when you try to make the link through the reminder.

There may be other issues but this is the first thing that comes to mind.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@ellinj, if the transaction is not listed when attempting to link from the Reminder directly, I'd suggest trying from the transaction directly (full details available in our support article here):

1. Hover over the panel on the left-hand side and select Transactions.
    2. Select the account where the transaction occurred.
    3. Locate the transaction you'd like to link, hover over it, and click the three dots at the end of it.
    4. Select Link to existing recurring.
    5. Locate the associated Recurring Series and select it.

Please give this a try and let us know how it goes. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• ellinj
    ellinj Member
    Options

So I was able to link the transaction in reverse, from the transaction itself as suggested by Natalie, Annoying work around but I have seen this behavior a few times where I can't link from the reminder.

• ellinj
    ellinj Member
    Options

So I tried to repeat the same for my hulu transaction, The Hulu reminder isn't going away.

• Coach Natalie
    edited October 2023
    Options

@ellinj, I'd suggest navigating to the Bills/Subscriptions section of the Spending Plan (whichever applies to your Hulu Series) and seeing if there's perhaps a duplicate Reminder for this item — the linked one will show that it's been paid, and the other will show that it's still due. If this is the case, go ahead and delete the one that shows as past due and you should be good to go.

One other thing I noticed, though, is that the transaction in your screenshot is income — is it supposed to be this way, and is the Recurring Series also set up as income? If so, you may need to look in the Income section of the Spending Plan for the duplicate.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• ellinj
    ellinj Member
    Options

ok, I found the problem but I don't know how to fix it. Good eye Natalie, It is a credit. For some reason I don't have the corresponding payment in the history imported from amex.

Could I have mistakenly deleted it?

• ellinj
    ellinj Member
    Options

I unliked the positive transaction and added in the negative. I then linked the negative to my bill, but still no luck.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@ellinj, now that you have the transactions set up properly, I'd suggest going back and doing what I suggested here. I've noticed there are times when I link a transaction to a Recurring Series from the transaction directly and the Reminder doesn't go away; confirming there's a duplicate Reminder in the Spending Plan and deleting it fixes things right up. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.