How to stop hidden transactions from showing in spending plan

Options
papermuffins
papermuffins Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in Feedback

This has been a new change for months and it's INCREDIBLY annoying. It makes it VERY hard to look in the Other Spending section of the spending plan. If you have multiple investment accounts connected, there can be hundreds of transactions that occur throughout the month and they're all showing in Other Spending category regardless of being set to be hidden/excluded from the Spending Plan.

PLEASE FIX THIS

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@papermuffins, thanks for sharing your feedback!

To clarify, are you referring to excluded transactions showing as greyed out in the Transaction Activity of Other Spending?

If so, this is by design, but I can definitely understand how it would be frustrating to see all of your Investment Transactions listed here if they're Payments/Deposits. One thing you can do is edit the Investment Transactions to an investing action so they're no longer a "cash flow" type.

However, I think we should turn this into an Idea post requesting the ability to hide excluded transactions from the Transaction Activity areas of the Spending Plan since it does not appear that we have an existing one. They added the ability to hide excluded items from the Bills & Income section of the Spending Plan, so I personally think it would be great to see this ability implemented for both Planned Spending and Other Spending.

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• papermuffins
    papermuffins Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

"If so, this is by design, but I can definitely understand how it would be frustrating to see all of your Investment Transactions listed here if they're Payments/Deposits."
    This is a somewhat new change, for the 2+ years I've been using Simplifi this wasn't the case. The fact that I have to hide them by selecting "Not excluded in Spending plan", from within the Spending Plan tells me it wasn't designed to act this way.

From the option you showed for "Transfers & Credit Card Payments", these transactions I'm describing don't show there. They show in the "Other Spending" category only.

Further, these transactions I'm describing aren't investment types exclusively. Some are from accounts that I have in Simplifi where I have the entire account set to be hidden from the Spending Plan, yet they show in the Other Spending section of the Spending Plan →

Every time I need to review the Other Spending category, it's a four click step to make it readable. If it's already set to be hidden, it should be hidden by default. I should only have to take action if I want to not-hide them.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@papermuffins, yes, even when a transaction or an entire account is set to be excluded from the Spending Plan, the transactions will still show as greyed out in the Transaction Activity; this is by design. These transactions have always been shown here (they just used to not be greyed out), however, some changes have been made to this with the introduction of Investment Transactions: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8241194-how-investment-transactions-are-handled-in-reports-and-the-spending-plan

With that, I still think we should turn this into an Idea post requesting that excluded transactions not show in the Transaction Activity areas of the Spending Plan, or to at least have the ability/option to disable them from showing. As mentioned in my previous comment, they added the ability to the Bills & Income section of the Spending Plan (which is what my screenshot shows), so I'd personally vote to see it added to Planned Spending and Other Spending.

Let me know if you'd like me to go ahead and do that!

-Coach Natalie

• papermuffins
    papermuffins Member ✭✭✭
    Options

"These transactions have always been shown here "
    I promise I'm not crazy. I've had Simplifi setup the same way for over a year. Same investment accounts, same regular accounts set to be excluded from Reports & Spending plan → These transactions were never there prior to a couple months ago.

But sure, if you'd like to convert this into an idea feel free.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@papermuffins, to clarify, I'm referring to excluded transactions; these have always been shown in Reports and the Spending Plan, but they're just not calculated. I think the difference you're seeing is with the introduction of Investment Transactions and the visibility changes that were made due to Investment Transactions.

The above-referenced article (click here) was published on 8/10/23 — is this about when you noticed the changes? I still think we should do the Idea post, but I want to make sure we're on the same page first. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• papermuffins
    papermuffins Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I promise you that transactions & accounts set to be excluded from the Spending Plan have never shown in the Spending plan prior to whatever change that now includes investment transactions. Even now, if there's a transaction that's NOT in the "Other Spending" category and I set to "Exclude from Spending Plan" it will disappear entirely from the category displayed or row (if it's a bill or income item). That part works as designed. But anything that's under the "Other Spending" category regardless of set to be excluded shows, while not calculated it still shows. So most the Spending Plan is working as visually designed and previously working the other part (other spending) isn't.

If you want to split this into an idea for investments and a bug for non-investment transactions that are excluded showing in the spending plan by all means.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@papermuffins, at this point, let's outline the current design and then go from them. The current design is as follows:

• Bills & Income section of the Spending Plan: Items that are excluded from the Spending Plan that fall in this section will be hidden by default unless the option to "show excluded" is selected from the three-dot menu of the applicable area. Whether shown or hidden, these items are not calculated.
    • Other Spending Transaction Activity: Excluded transactions will show here, but will be greyed out and will show the eyeball with a line through it; these items are not calculated. Since there is no option here to hide these items as there is in the Bills & Income section, you will see them regardless.

With that, if you'd like to see a change made to the current design, please go ahead and create a separate Idea post to request it. I think this post has become too convoluted at this point to have real meaning as an Idea post for other users to vote on.

Personally, I'd like to see an Idea post requesting the ability to hide excluded transactions from Other Spending. Since this ability is available in the Bills & Income section, I extra think it should be added as an option to Other Spending as well. I'd vote for it!

If you are seeing something outside of this design, though, let me know. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.