New user - how to handle Investments and Cost Basis and historical transactions

Options
ps56k
ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2023 in Investments

How to handle the overall Cost Basis and historical transaction activity of various stocks and mutual funds from Schwab, Vanguard, etc ?

I have added these brokerages - and at this point - only really see the daily snapshot of holdings, just like any other online financial website.

What capabilities does Simplifi have with regard to tracking and reporting on Investments - ?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ps56k

@Coach Natalie can give you a more detailed answer, but I don't think Simplifi's investment features at this time will give you the depth or sophistication you seem to be asking about. Simplifi has added some functionality to investment account management, but, again, I doubt this functionality is all that you are asking about. If you go to the Support page linked at the top of the Community page you can do a search for "investment accounts" to find the various support articles about how to work with investment accounts and what feature are available in Simplifi.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I use Empower (formerly Personal Capital) investment services and they have a great web page to track all my investment performance day-to-day and over time. As far as cost basis, I have no clue where to even start since my portfolio goes back to the mid 90's and has gone through so many turnovers and in and out of a number of investment firms. All accounts are now consolidated at one institution and our portfolios are quite diversified. I can keep an eye on overall performance through Empower. I include my investment accounts in Simplifi mainly for net worth purposes and for the convenience of tracking transfers to my grandkids custodial accounts.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@ps56k2, thanks for posting!

As mentioned by @DannyB, Quicken Simplifi doesn't offer the robust investment features that Quicken Classic does. Here are some support articles to get you started with investments in Quicken Simplifi:

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4474538-tracking-investments-in-quicken-simplifi

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6540220-managing-investment-transactions

And here's an Idea post that I'd definitely suggest checking out:

I hope this helps, but let us know if you have any further questions!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is nice to be able to see the usual 30-60-90 day timeline -
    Not sure if that display is for EACH investment holding (stock/mutual fund) or just the entire defined Account …. Schwab, Vanguard, etc -

But… even if manually entered - you really need a COST BASIS to see if your investment is overall - a Gain or a Loss -

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As far as Cost Basis - you can easily look at your Brokerage online website - and see what it says for Cost Basis -
    even if brokern down by Covered and Non-Covered ….
    and then just manually enter that into Simplifi (if that was made possible)
    and then Simplifi would have some numbers to add/subtract from todays Market Value - to show Gain/Loss (if made possible)

This discussion has been closed.