Credit card refund not showing in spending plan

Options
btsmith52
btsmith52 Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Using the Spending Plan

I've noticed that a refund to a credit card does not show in my spending plan. The outflows for the card absolutely show, but the refund to that credit does not. The refund is not marked as "excluded" and the account is included as part of the plan. Seems obvious to me that it should be included as either income, or possibly a negative in "other spending". What am I missing?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

An indicator of where in the spending plan it would be would be based on what CATEGORY the refund was assigned. If it was an income category, it would be under income, if it was an expense category, it should be showing either in planned spending or other spending under that category. Keep in mind, today is a new month (new spending plan) so it may possibly be under this month or last month.

Rob Wilkens

Answers

• btsmith52
    btsmith52 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. The one problem I found was that the refund and the original charge were not of the same category. Once I made them the same category, they offset to zero. For all practical purposes, that will solve my problem. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. It's still not the behaviour I would have expected, because the wrong category was still an expense category and it didn't show up as a credit on the plan. It's like credits to credit cards aren't counted, unless they offset charges. Pretty much covers all scenarious I guess.

This discussion has been closed.