Split Transactions

Options
leavingmarks
leavingmarks Member
edited December 2023 in Managing Your Transactions

Coming from Mint.

In Mint I had the ability to split one original transaction into multiple almost fully separate transactions. I do this mainly because I have a large amount of bills I keep track of through a sinking fund. Each month I transfer a set amount of money from my main checking account into a sinking fund account. I then would split it into 17 separate transactions and apply them to subscriptions, bills, and a few other categories.

That sadly doesn't seem possible on Simplifi, and I hope that feature can be added soon. Otherwise it seems the only way I can get around it is to separately transfer the amount that would go into each separate category, and have less fidelity in tracking what the full amounts in each category are in Quicken.

Edit: Let me add, it also would be nice to be able to give an additional title to each split. I did see there was an option to maych the overall transaction to a bill/subscription but not each split.

Tagged:

Comments

• User5939
    User5939 Member
    Options

That is available in Simplifi. Select a transaction and go to the area that says "split". You can also add tags and other identifiers.

• leavingmarks
    Options

You didn’t read the full post. Yes it’s available. But they aren’t treated like completely separate transactions once you split them. You can’t name them separately, and you can’t apply the splits to different bills or subscriptions.

• Tonks
    Options

I was able to create manuals that allow me to maintain split balance in many categories, similiar to what you are describing. I automate the split deposit into each of the manual accounts on each payday. I am mirroring a checking account that is also tied to a Money Market fund. So the sum of the balance of my manual account always equals the sum of my checking and money market. Money can be moved from a manually created account category into a manually created checking (that mirrors the account connected to the bank). The only out of the manually created checking can be linked to the credit card payments (or other transfers).

Think of it as a parallel network of saving and spending.

Since all of my spending on credit cards, the money out of the checking and money market is limited to only a few credit card payments per month per month. However, the money in is accounted for in specific categories.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
  • CPACook
    Options

I agree with the request for a clean split as in the Mint approach.

R. L. Cook, CPA

• User5939
    User5939 Member
    Options

@leavingmarks - bruh you went back and edited your post to add what you were really asking for then disliked my response answering what you were initially asking. Total wackjob move my friend, just trying to help.

• leavingmarks
    Options

No, I added them a few minutes after I wrote it before anyone even commented. You just didn’t read throughly.

This discussion has been closed.