Import/Export CSV format - confusing

Options
ps56k
ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in Managing Your Transactions

In looking around, it appears on the Transactions screen - there are the cloud "Import" and the down arrow "Export" functions - however, the exact format, support, and other options avail are confusing….. I stumbled into this area as I wanted to test the Export of our checking account, but found there is no "date range" control for what exactly to export.

Here are a couple different CSV formats from around the Simplifi website -

Here is the actual CSV Export from our checking account -
Notice the extra headers for handling Investments,
but - ironic - the Export/Import feature is NOT currently supported for Investment transactions.

,account,state,postedOn,payee,usage,category,tags,notes,amount,action,security,description,quantity,price,commission

,"GS Checking2","PENDING","11/10/2023","At&t","","Utilities:Phone","","just a note as a memo","$0.00","","","","","",""

In the search for HELP with using CSV - Simplifi has this "template" as what to use -

and lastly - this is the Mint CSV exported file - as suggested to use for Importing from Mint -

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@ps56k, I think I answered this in your other post from yesterday (see here):

As for the column headers that show in the export file, I think these are there because they're planning to improve the export/import process; Investment Transactions specifically should eventually have this ability.

Is there a specific question you have regarding this? Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

the Simplifi “template” mentioned in the Help has no relation to an actual exported file. And the Mint export file - which I think is also mentioned in the Help - is said to Import without modifying…

SO - All three of these CSV files have wildly different column headers …
    so exactly WHAT header fields are actually recognized and how mapped to Simplifi fields …
    Seems like that would be a simple Help entry to cover all questions…

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I am attempting to Import the Simplifi checking account CSV I just Exported from Simplifi -
    and here is the screen showing what Simplifi CSV formats are accepted -

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

and…. NOPE - Quicken Simplifi will not IMPORT it's own EXPORTED file -

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@ps56k, based on our import template, it looks like the default supported columns are:

• Date
    • Payee
    • Amount
    • Tags

Quicken Simplifi does not support the importing of Categories, however, I know that this is being worked on, and may differ with Mint or some of the other specific import options. For example, we can map top-level Categories for Mint (i.e., the default Categories, not custom-created ones), however, I'm not sure what other mapping may apply to the Mint, Personal Capital, or Apple Card options. Maybe some other users will come along who use these options and provide additional feedback.

In the meantime, you can view our import article here to see if contains any additional insight for you: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4413430-how-to-manually-import-transactions

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

yes - it's unfortunate that the EXPORT will pretty much grab all the fields and create the full CSV -

The IMPORT programmers for some reason only created the general purpose CSV Import with 3 real world fields - and yet have lots of fields recognized and mapped for Import from MINT.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My opinion only: Given the time that new features take to happen (and the number of requests for new features), by the time they made the import even more 'mint friendly', mint would be long gone it would be wasted coding time (just guessing, I am not a Quicken Simplifi employee/representative, they may feel differently). If more mint users were coming over while mint was still going to be around, I'd say there would've been a greater attempt to get that done. Like I said, they may or may not try to accommodate your request anyway, I'm not them.

Rob Wilkens

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk - if you go back above and view my series of screen postings -
    you will see that Simplifi does indeed already have a special CSV Import selection for MINT -

…. by the time they made the import even more 'mint friendly',
    mint would be long gone it would be wasted coding time…  

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you go back to your quote, I said "even more"….

It was somewhat mint friendly already, I was talking about investing more development time into something that isn't going to be around in 2 months. Like I said, I'm not Quicken/Simplifi, I'm just another user.

Rob Wilkens

• dave_sxxxxx
    dave_sxxxxx Member ✭✭
    Options

I think the investment in making import more Mint friendly is still worthwhile though, as we can archive our Mint data and import it later, even after the actual Mint site is long gone.

This discussion has been closed.