Manual account with payments from a different account

Options
papermuffins
papermuffins Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in Managing Your Transactions

I have a Mortgage on a property where the loan is not through a bank but to an individual.
I manually write a check each month from Account - A

I have a manual mortgage account that has the balance on the loan left.

How can I link the two accounts such that each month:
Manual mortgage account shows a positive payment when check from Account - A is cashed as the same negative amount.

I tried doing this through bill/series but can't get the two to link up.

I remember having something of this nature setup in the past but can't seem to get it working now where the transaction of the debit links to a positive in the manual account.

Almost like a transfer…

Best Answers

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Can you clarify what you mean by "can't get the two to link up"?

Are you trying to have it automatically link when the transaction downloads? Or are you trying to link it manually and it won't let you?

Did you set the payment side to have a category as a transfer to the receiving account (i.e. a linked transfer)? Is the concern that this does not happen automatically? if so, again, I'm not sure automatic things like that can happen with a manual account (might be wrong).

I'm not sure about manual accounts and automatic linking, I think automatic linking only happens with downloaded transactions.

Rob Wilkens

• Humanleg86
    Humanleg86 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I THINK you can set-up an recurring transfer from the connected account to the manual account, make sure you set the category to transfer and then pick the manual account. What I am unsure of if if that recurring transfer will create the transaction on the manual account. Worse case is that it does not and when you reconcile your transactions (provided you do) you can update the category to transfer to the manual account and that WILL create the transaction on the manual account.

Hope this helps.

Answers

This discussion has been closed.