Tweak the "Savings" Report to take into account total balance [edited]

cgriffin2157
cgriffin2157 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in Feature Requests

I find the Savings insight very confusing to look at because it is not clear where the balance on the graph is coming from. It seems to ignore the actual balance in the account, and the change over time does not accurately reflect reality because it ignores transfers between my checking and savings that are marked hidden by default. I also notice that when switching between 6 month and 12 month views on the graph, the balances actually differ by thousands of dollars, even on the same months! This graph is essentially useless to me.

I would like to see a savings insight that simply looks at the total balance in my savings account at the end of each month and the current month and shows that over time. I'd imagine that's really what people are trying to glean from this view in the first place...

1 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭

@cgriffin2157 Thanks for your suggestions for improvements to the Simplifi Savings Goals module. They make good sense. I'm going to test a couple of them myself to get a better idea of the issues you're indicating, and I will be sure to pass them on to our product development team for their consideration. We appreciate the feedback!

• cgriffin2157
    cgriffin2157 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

The behavior I’m seeing on my account is that it seems to have taken the opening balance of my savings account, and each month after that it only factors in the accrued interest in the graph. Because deposits into my savings account are considered “transfers” from my checking, the graph completely ignores them.

• cgriffin2157
    cgriffin2157 Member ✭✭✭

Also, to be clear, I am not talking about the Goals module. I am talking about the Savings graph in the INSIGHTS section of the site.

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭

@cgriffin2157 Thanks for the additional information. We may need to report this as a Bug in the program, as well as a suggestion for improvements. We appreciate the feedback, and I may have additional questions for you as we look into this further.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited April 2021
    Hello @cgriffin2157,

Thanks for your feedback regarding the Savings Report!

Reading through this, it sounds like the Report may now offer what you're looking for -- not only am I seeing my "ignored" transfer to savings transactions listed below the graph, but it looks like the graph is taking into account my total savings balance on a per-month basis. Additionally, I'm seeing that filtering the Report to view just one of my savings accounts, as well as applying different time ranges, etc., all seem to be pulling accurate data.

If I'm missing something in your request, please let me know, otherwise, I am looking to mark this Idea as "Completed". 

Thank you! :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.