How do I create budgets by category?

Options
reginabee
reginabee Member
edited December 2023 in Using the Spending Plan

Hello, can someone assist me with setting a budget per category? For instance, I want to be able to have a set budget monthly for groceries, entertainment, wellness, etc. Please assist.

Best Answers

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is a difficult question Because Simplifi works differently than a traditional budget by category.

I've heard one way to accomplish what you're looking for is to set up "Watchlists" where you set a target amount for each category and can watch how much is left in each category, and be notified (I believe) if you go over.

Also, this isn't how I believe it was intended, but you can also use planned spending in the spending plan, where you set how much you plan to spend in each category. You don't have to specify every category and can leave money for 'other spending' (spending bubbles by category for non-planned-spending items). Just know, recurring bills and subscriptions will not show on planned spending, they're accounted for elsewhere in the spending plan and are not "double charged" by also being in planned spending.

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I’d concur with Rob and would recommend starting with Watchlists, see how you like them, and then try the Spending Plan next. You may find that with a little time you’d use the Spending Plan in a different way.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.