Using Classic and Simplify concurrently with USAA

Options
conwayatx
conwayatx Member

I use Quicken Classic on PC and my iPhone. Recently I added Simplify to try and liked the ease of some budgeting features and am considering running both - knowing the data files are unique. My issue is: when I verify my USAA accounts setting up Simplify and then look at Classic, those same accounts have been unlinked and I had to set them up again. Then Simplify has issue with the USAA accounts and I have to verify, and round and round we go……

Anyone have an idea how to fix?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @conwayatx,

Unfortunately, this issue is caused by the connection method USAA uses. When you go through the authorization/connection process, USAA issues a token to Quicken that is used to verify that app is authorized to download account balance/transaction information. However, that token can be assigned to only one Quicken app/file. In other words, when you authorize your USAA account(s) in Quicken Simplifi, that takes the token away from Quicken Classic and gives it to Quicken Simplifi, functionally de-authorizing Quicken Classic.

Since the issue is a limitation caused by the way the financial institution connects, there isn't a fix for it. The simplest solution may be to have automatic downloads in one Quicken product and to update the information manually in the other.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!

-Coach Kristina

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Coach Kristina - which connection method is USAA using ?

I am also running Quicken Windows and Simplifi via web browser -
    and ALL my accounts are downloading fine - with both products -
    - Chase - Schwab - Fidelity - Vanguard - TRowe - Capital One - Ally -

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @ps56k,

USAA connects using OAuth API. You can click this link for more information on that connection method: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6997452-new-and-improved-way-to-connect-to-your-financial-institution-oauth-api .

While there are other financial institutions that also use that connection method, USAA is especially picky about being connected to more than one Quicken product at the same time.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Kristina

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just sharing, as I mentioned above, I have a few accounts from the list (**) and they work fine having been defined in both Quicken Classic desktop and Quicken Simplifi products …

The financial institutions that currently use an API to connect in Quicken Simplifi are:

• American Express
    • Bank of America
    • Capital One. **
    • Charles Schwab. **
    • Chase **
    • PayPal. **
    • PNC Bank
    • USAA
    • U.S. Bank

• conwayatx
    Options

My only problem is with USAA API - my other account work.
    I was also surprised that some USAA transactions (uploaded to cloud on PC) had split categories stripped. I had to re-enter on my PC when I discovered the error. Now, I’ve disabled cloud & apps because I don’t like surprises and my desktop was always solid prior to my testing the web apps.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@conwayatx, it sounds like you may need to post to Quicken Classic's Community: https://community.quicken.com/

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.