Category Import from Mint

Options
jfrylove
jfrylove Member
edited December 2023 in Feature Requests

Allow Mint users to import their Categories. Currently Simplifi assigns Categories. If you have a Mint category and there is no obvious Simplifi category, you will get Unassigned category.

Allow Simplifi import tool to match Mint Categories to User created Simplifi Categories.

For example: User has Mint category of "Harris Teeter Shopping". User creates same category in Simplifi. Enhancement will be for data import tool: when importing allow match if Simplifi category = Mint Category. In the above example the item would be imported and assigned "Harris Teeter Shopping"…and not Uncategorized.

Tagged:
2 votes

Completed · Last Updated

You can now import your Categories from Mint!

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I need this enhancement ASAP. I spent an hour recategorizing hundreds of transactions for a credit card that I imported with 1,685 transactions. I already created the categories in Simplifi to match what I already had in Mint. I also adjusted the categories in the Mint file as needed to match what Simplifi has. The Monarch Money import was smooth in this regard. It created missing categories automatically.

I still have about 200 transactions left to re-categorize for this credit card. I have over 11,000 transactions total in mint, I will import a subset of them.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• lovemango
    Options

This is blocking my migration to Simplify (I only discovered after I paid the subscription). Cause I shop on Amazon a lot and manually categorized all records (many thousands of them), I would like those categorizations carry over to Simplify

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Great news, everyone! When importing your transactions from Mint, the Categories will also import. When viewing your Categories list in Settings, you'll see a section called "Mint"; you'll then be able to edit/move the Categories to the appropriate area for Quicken Simplifi.

See here for steps on importing transactions from Mint: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint

See here for steps on editing Categories in Quicken Simplifi: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4378958-managing-categories-and-subcategories#h_0c9fdadbff

We hope this helps all of our users who are transitioning from Mint!

-Coach Natalie

• Emacken
    Emacken Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you!!!

I imported a csv for my main credit card before this was put into place: if I remove that card from my Simplifi account, re-add it, and then import the transactions again, will they bring in the categories, or will the import fail because that csv has already been imported once?

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Emacken, I'd say it's definitely worth a try. Before deleting the original account, maybe just create a new dummy account to test it with. If they import into the dummy account, you'll know it works. If they don't, it might still work after deleting the account, but you can at least better gauge the risk at that point. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Emacken
    Emacken Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you! I accidentally imported the credit card transactions into my checking account and wound up needing to delete and re-add both, but now everything is as it should be. :)

This discussion has been closed.