Exclude category from spending plan

Options
talon
talon Member
edited December 2023 in Managing Your Transactions

I'm new to Simplifi but I talked support and there doesn't seem to be a way to exclude a spend category from the spending plan. Rather than clicking on each individual transaction that I would like to exclude, I much prefer to category all my "business expenses" from my spending plan. Can this be a feature request?

Tagged:

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @talon, welcome to Simplifi!

I use Simplifi for personal family money management only. When I did have business income and expenses I used Quicken since that app had a full and robust set of tools for handling more complex financial planning and accounting.

That being said, the first thing that comes to mind for me would be to set up a business expense category and, if desired, set up business expense related subcategories to further refine these expenses. From there I would categorize all my business related expenses to this business expense category. At this point I would set up rules to have Simplifi do auto categorizing for business related vendors. Then in reports you can do a report by category and in the filter menu select only the categories you want included in the report.

If I don't want these expenses impacting my Spending Plan, I can simply NOT include my business-related categories in my Spending Plan.

Again, I only have personal family income and expenses so I can't say for sure is this is feasible. The closest I come is to this is with a category I set up to assign all my Savings Goals spending. I have a top category for Savings Goals with subcategories for each of my SGs. When I have SG spending, I categorize it in one of these subcategories. This is simply a way to help me keep track of SG inflow and outflow. This is a new experiment for me so not sure yet how well this will work.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DannyB

I’d like to know the results of your Savings Goal Category test when you’ve decided if it is a good idea or not. Right now, I just use the original category.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Flopbot

Yes, I'll let you know. I just set this up a few days ago and was planning on sharing the idea if it works out.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.