Income Reports do not show Negative Transactions with an Income Category in the Bar Graph (edited)

Options
alkaboy
alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
edited February 9 in Report a Bug

I have some negative transactions that I include as Income to offset a portion of my gross income (e.g. Federal & State taxes). When I look at Reports, these are broken out in the Activity and in the chart legends. However the charts themselves (both pie and bar) do not show the negative/expense items. See screenshots.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @alkaboy,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. For us to confirm the issue, could you please provide more information? Do you have expense items categorized as income to get them to reflect on the report? Are these expenses part of a split transaction? Are you able to provide a screenshot of the transaction activity (with personal or sensitive information blurred or obscured)? What is it that makes you believe the transactions are there but not being counted towards the totals in the graph? Is it the color coding or is there also something else also leading to that conclusion?

I look forward to your response!

-Coach Kristina

• alkaboy
    alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Coach Kristina ,

Happy to provide more info here. I have an Income Category of "Payroll Taxes" with two Income subcategories labeled "Federal Tax" and "State Tax". I also have a separate Income Category of "Salary" (no subcategories).

Check out these 3 sample transactions that correspond to the bar chart — they show up directly below it. I hid the Payee for confidentiality. These 3 transactions total to the same $6,773.37 that is shown as Total income in the chart. But only the Salary bar shows up in the positive ($9K). The Payroll Taxes shows up in the legend, but there is no negative bar for the corresponding -$2,265.09. When I click on the bar itself, the pop-pup legend is accurate.

See screenshots attached - let me know if this clarifies.

Thanks

• alkaboy
    alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

To add, this negative bar shows up when the bar chart is set to "Total" instead of "Over Time"

• alkaboy
    alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

One more oddity that I just discovered (separate bug?) Is that when I drill into the Payroll Taxes bar, the scale on the bars is way off. Look at State Tax ($541) vs. Federal Tax ($1,724). Seems to me that the dark blue bar is much, much shorter than ~1/3 of the light blue bar.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited November 2023
    Options

@alkaboy, thanks for providing additional details!

It doesn't appear that what you're seeing is a bug. When viewing the Income Report using a Breakdown of 'Category' for a shorter time frame where days are shown in the graph instead of months (I gathered that this is your setup based on your screenshots), I see that the "Over time" view gives a cumulative total for the bars. For example, when viewing your screenshots, I see that the tooltip shows both of the Categories correctly, and also calculates them correctly, giving you a correct Report Total. Is it the scaling on the graph that's the issue?

I also see the same thing as you when viewing the "Total" option for the Income Report and selecting the bar graph view where it lists each individual Category with a separate bar. This all appears to be by design and is most likely why our product team gave different view options for the Reports.

To clarify, what exactly do you expect to see in the Income Report for the transactions in question? Also, for the latter item you mentioned regarding the size of the bars in the graph, you'll want to go ahead and report that one separately since it's a different issue, and we'd be happy to take a closer look.

-Coach Natalie

• alkaboy
    alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie When I change the time scale to show monthly, there are still no negative Payroll Tax bars:

My point here is that there are no green bars for Payroll Taxes. If Income (Salary) is positive, and Payroll Taxes are negative, then the green Payroll Tax bars should be below the $0 x-axis line, and the y-axis should continue into negative #s. The bars shown in this screenshot add up to a # that is greater than the $44K of Total income shown in the upper left, because the bars are just the positive #s.

I'll report the bar scaling bug separately.

Thanks!

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@alkaboy, aha! I see the issue now as well, and it appears that although that color is listed in the legend and in the tooltip, it is missing from the bar graph. I'm thinking this is an issue with the Report being unable to scale below the $0 line when broken down 'By Category'. I got this reported and will let you know when I hear back.

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-18891

• alkaboy
    alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie , thank you. I would also note that this same bug appears when the bars are side-by-side instead of stacked:

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@alkaboy, a fix for this is expected with the 3.94.0 Web Release. I'm not sure exactly what the fix will end up being; if you recall my comment here, they may have determined this to be by design.

Let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@alkaboy, how did this end up working out for you?

-Coach Natalie

• alkaboy
    alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Works now! Thanks!!

This discussion has been closed.