Pending Transactions not matched to incoming cleared transactions. Bills not listed as Pending.

Options
Philk
Philk Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2 in Report a Bug

I'm not sure if these part of the known issue as @Coach Natalie reported today.

The following two issues have existed for as long as I've been testing this product, with mixed results. For the most part when I enter a transaction after it occurs, it gets marked cleared when matched with incoming transactions…today that didn't happen for the one transaction, shown below. This has happened previously…so not sure its the same issue as above.

Furthermore, Recurring bills for yesterday and today are still listed at the top, and not moving to pending status, as I think it should, whereas it would also be reflected in the pending balance of the associated account. I had 2 recurring Income (payments) that cleared the bank and were processed as expected, and balance reflected.

If this is not a bug, and not the way it has been programmed to function, please let me know so I can add it as a requested feature.

-Phil-

Former Quicken Desktop user 1984 -2023. Currently Testing Simplifi as its replacement.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Philk, thanks for posting!

It sounds like there are two different issues at play here, and that neither one is related to the referenced known issue. For the first item you mentioned, it sounds like you have duplicate transactions: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4901071-how-to-resolve-duplicate-transactions

You can either merge the pending transaction with the cleared transaction, or just delete one of the transactions. If you delete the cleared transaction, you can then mark the pending transaction as cleared manually.

For the second item you mentioned, it sounds like you need to link the transactions in question to the Reminders in question: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4436514-linking-transactions-to-reminders#h_e4557bd16b

Let us know how these steps work for you!

-Coach Natalie

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie

You misunderstood my complaints. The first example was a failure of manually entered "Pending" transaction's to be matched with new "Cleared" transactions. The whole purpose of entering the transactions on the day it occurred as "Pending" is to know the future account balance, as well as entering pertinent info while it is fresh in my mind. I don't think it is too much to ask to have it matched, status changed to cleared, rather than creating a new duplicate transaction.

The second example, the transactions were linked to the reminders, and again…you missed to point where having the transactions that were past, but not yet cleared at the bank…to be automatically entered as pending transactions so the associated account balance is reflected by the "pending" transactions. But these transactions sat above the activity list as past due and did not show the future balance of the account…until it actually cleared the bank. Then it entered the transaction as cleared.

My whole point here in these two examples involves pending balance, so I ask…how do I get a pending balance?

-Phil-

Former Quicken Desktop user 1984 -2023. Currently Testing Simplifi as its replacement.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

From memory, If you manually merge the non-matched pending and cleared transactions, the service will learn to match them in the future. To do this, click to the left of the manual (pending) transaction (the checkbox), and do the same for the cleared transaction that wasn't matched. Then, with just those two transactions checked, click the merge button (above the register to the right) to merge them.

Rob Wilkens

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk @Coach Natalie

Thanks for the suggestion, though I don't have a situation at this time to apply your suggestion, I did manufacture one to find the merge option. Your suggestion is appreciated; however, I am seeking further understanding from Simplifi, that my expectations of how bills are processed automatically, have merit.

In my example above and again below…Bills which have past the due date and have yet to clear the bank…ARE NOT being processed as a pending transaction, nor does the account balance reflect the PENDING BALANCE.

Knowing the future account balance after all expected (pending) transactions is absolutely critical for me to switch to this product for the long haul.

My expectation here is nothing new. The account register in Quicken Desktop had been doing this for as long as I can remember.

In this age of Ai, and new approaches to managing personal finances, it is a refreshing change seeing all transactions in one list as well as seeing the account balance for each to the left of all the transactions. However, the pending transaction's functionality in Simplifi is HALF-BAKED, in my humble opinion, and I don't think expecting a future balance of planned transactions is unreasonable.

-Phil-

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What you see as bills and payments are more like reminders than transactions. They stay as a reminder until they are matched or deleted. They are not auto-entered.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Philk, yes, Reminders are not automatically entered into the register as a transaction on the day they occur. Instead, as soon as the transaction downloads from your bank, the Reminder will be linked to that transaction and will be removed from the Upcoming view. If it is not automatically linked, you can manually link it by following the steps in the support article I provided above (click here).

With that, I'd suggest adding your vote and feedback here:

I hope this helps clarify!

-Coach Natalie

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk @Coach Natalie

I appreciate the clarification, and acknowledgment of the functional limitation of "reminders".

In Quicken Desktop, there is a list of Bill Reminders also…and like Simplifi…they do not automatically enter it as a transaction either. However, what they do have is a button to enter the transaction into the register.

Providing me a link for another very relevant, and very good suggestion…which is also very old is extremely disheartening…It only proves that people have not been happy with this function for far too long.

I voted for the ability to convert reminders to a transaction, however I feel it should be the user's choice how early they want to do so.

-Phil-

This discussion has been closed.