System Administrator admin
edited January 11 in Troubleshooting

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Spending plan not refreshing/syncing after transactions are categorized

Tagged:

Comments

• EricH33947
    Options

I continue to have problems with Planned Spending not updating. It seems to work fine with some categories but not others. I just deleted the planned spends that weren't updating and added them back in, this time in Chrome rather than Safari. The transactions are still not being picked up so there is a problem somewhere. This is very frustrating because this visual functionality is why I chose this product. Please advise.

Thanks!

• EricH33947
    Options

What I'm seeing is that when something is marked as a Series in the transaction list, it's not being included in the Planned Spend. I tried to upload a screen shot but it looks like there is a "permission problem".

• EricH33947
    Options

I resolved my email confirmation so can now post.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi @EricH33947,

Welcome to Q-Simplifi. Sorry to see your having these problems and for the furstration.

Just to clarify a couple of things. You said "something is marked as a Series in the transaction list, it's not being included in the Planned Spend." By "Planned Spend" do you mean the Planned Spending section of the Spending Plan?

By design recurring transactions (Series) will be assigned to either Bills or Subscriptions (your choice when you set up the recurring series) in the Income after bills & savings. Because of this, expenses set up as recurring series will not be counted in any of your Planned Spending categories. This prevents double counting of expenses.

It looks like you have a "Subscriptions" expense category you have assigned these transactions to.

Do you have a Planned Spending category also called "Subscriptions" or something else perhaps but you have assigned the "Subscriptions" expense category to? If so, the first two expenses will show up in your Planned Spending subscriptions category but the next three will not because they are recurring series expenses.

In your screenshot I would expect the first two expenses to show up in your Planned Spending if you have a Planned Spending category that includes Subscriptions, and I would expect to find the next three under either Bills or Subscriptions in the "Income after bills & expenses" section of the Spending Plan.

Here are two support articles that should help clarify how the Spending Plan works and how Simplifi differentiates between Planned Spending expenses and recurring expenses.

Hope this helps some.

[corrected user tag]

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • EricH33947
    Options

I can't get transactions with the recurring symbol to show in my Spending Plan totals for the assigned category. What am I missing?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Which part of the spending plan are you looking at?

The recurring expenses go either under bills or subscriptions in the Income after bills and saving section

Planned spending is for anything not tagged as a recurring expense or income in Simplifi.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5142441-planned-spending-expenses-versus-recurring-expenses

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited December 2023
    Options

@EricH33947, the Spending Plan is designed to not double-count transactions, so as soon as a transaction is linked to a Recurring Reminder, it will be displayed/counted in the Bills & Income section of the Spending Plan and will not be counted toward a Planned Spending expense of the same Category. The support articles that were provided by Danny and Ursula above go over this in more detail.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4212702-using-the-quicken-simplifi-spending-plan

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5142441-planned-spending-expenses-versus-recurring-expenses

If you want to track your spending in a certain Category all in one place, I'd suggest taking a look at Watchlists — https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3472367-using-watchlists

You can also check out this existing Idea post:

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• EricH33947
    Options

Thanks for the responses! I will have to review how I'm using the tool. I want to see a target amount for selected categories and the spend that has occurred to this point as a percentage of target, just like the way planned spend shows in the pic below. But I want ALL of my spend for that category in that visual display. Watchlist categories do not do this, they just show numbers.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Then, what you probably want is watchlists and not the spending plan planned spending page. Watchlists have a similar per-category chart but include all spending (I believe). Planned spending is specifically different than recurring bills and subscriptions and that is by design.

Rob Wilkens

• EricH33947
    Options

I removed all of the bill series and now the spending plan graphs are working the way I want them to. I don't track all income and expenses with Simplifi as I have something else built that I use for that. I want Simplifi to grab my credit card transactions so that I can manage specific discretionary spend categories day to day and by eliminating the series bills, the Spending Plan now works the way I want it to. I will continue to learn more about using this product. Thanks for your help, this is a nice product and a nice community. :-)

This discussion has been closed.