Add a minus sign to expenses in the Transaction Export file (edited)

Options
N4KHQ
N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭

Your export after filtering and from reports work great. Maybe there is a feature I have not found but my expenditures do not show up negative. It would be great to have a setting that put a - sign in front of debits. Making it optional should get no complaints. In addition to search and filter, search by date range would be great.

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Looks like some of what you are requesting is already done.

Income shows up with + signs and green in the transaction list. Expenses show in black with no plus sign. When exporting transactions to CSV, expenses are negative and income is positive.

Per the help article

Searching for Amounts

The following formulas can be used when searching for transaction amounts in Quicken Simplifi:

• Searches that start with a minus sign (-) or a plus sign (+) will restrict your results to expenses or income, respectively.
    • Searching for a generic number, such as "23", will return results for both +23.00 and -23.00.
    • Searching "-23.50" will search for -23.50 specifically (you can also use the plus sign to search for income).
    • Searching "-23ish" will search for values roughly around -23.00 (you can also use the plus sign to search for income).
    • Searching "~-23" will also search for values roughly around -23.00 (you can also use the plus sign to search for income).
    • Searching "+>1000" will search for income transactions greater than 1000.00 (you can also use the minus sign to search for expenses).
    • Searching "+<1000" will search for income transactions less than 1000.00 (you can also use the minus sign to search for expenses).

Searching for Dates

The following formulas can be used when searching for transaction dates in Quicken Simplifi:

• Searching "2/3/2022" or "02/03/2022" will search for transactions dated 02/03/2022.
    • Searching "Feb 02, 2022" will search for transactions dated 02/03/2022.
    • Searching "Feb 02 2022" will search for transactions dated 02/03/2022.
    • Searching "February 02, 2022" will search for transactions dated 02/03/2022.
    • Searching "2/3/2022ish" or "02/03/2022ish" will search for transactions dated around 02/03/2022.
    • Searching ">2/3/2022" or ">02/03/2022" will search for transactions on or after 02/03/2022.
    • Searching "<2/3/2022" or "<02/03/2022" will search for transactions on or before 02/03/2022.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6354977-transaction-search-tips

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@N4KHQ, thanks for posting your request to the Community!

To clarify, are you looking for expenses to have a minus sign when viewing your transactions within Quicken Simplifi, just like income transactions have a plus sign, or are you looking for this change in the export file specifically? If the latter, would you mind providing a bit more insight as to how this change would be beneficial compared to the current design, please?

And when it comes to searching by date range, you're referring to searching transactions in Quicken Simplifi, correct? If so, in addition to the info provided by Ursula, we have an Idea post requesting a Date Range Filter that I'd suggest checking out:

Please let us know!

-Coach Natalie

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Just the expense export is what I was requesting. I was thinking for and option in the view would be a good way to implement but probably a bad ideal. Thanks

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

UrsulaA thanks for the good information on searching I would never have guessed using ish. My CVS exports do not show - for the expensive. There is a debit in another column and I can change it but it would be better just to get a - in front of negative numbers. It would also be great to filter by a date range.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@N4KHQ - I do not get the same behavior when I export to CSV from a report. I get the below with a negative sign for expenses.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thanks for correcting my mistake. It may have been a mint export that had debit in place of - sign. I am getting the minus sign also.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@N4KHQ, did you find what you're looking for?

-Coach Natalie

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie , Yes, I had gotten my exports mixed up.

This discussion has been closed.