Mint import - limiting scope of data import intentionally?

Options
aolafsson
aolafsson Member ✭✭✭

TL;DR: If I don't want to bring in all my Mint data, and just some, can I just delete some of the data from the CSV before I import, or filter the Mint export before I download?

I'm coming over from Mint with Mint data going back to 2009. I leverage past data, but if it's just transaction history, I could keep a bunch of that in Excel. In an ideal world, I'd get it all into Simplifi but it seems like I'm not going to be able to do it right without a lot of manual reconciliation due to high quantities of split transactions coming from Mint, and closed accounts (34!). When I go to a store like a Target or BJs, I'd always review the receipt and split the Mint transaction accordingly into the right categories for everything I bought, or when I return something I'd always split the bought portion from the returned portion (i.e. I order online from a clothing store and return half of it) and "hide" the returned portion of the purchase & refund. I think I'm going to have to deal with all of the repercussions of the splits manually for whatever data I import. I also have categories for every trip I've taken, and from previous seasons of life (college, etc.) that I really don't need in the UI here forward looking. I'm thinking of intentionally limiting the scope of my import to X years, and not going all the way back to 2009 just because I can't handle and it's not worth the effort.

If I want to do that, would I simply decide on my cut-off date, and when exporting transactions from Mint for files for the Simplifi import, filter down to only transactions with that account since that date? It says in the import instructions 'don't delete any data' or something along those lines, so I want to be sure that won't mess anything else up, like present day account balances.

Tagged:

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe deleting transactions before a certain date will not cause issues with import. I had history since 2014 but only imported 2022 data to Simplifi from the mint CSV.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• aolafsson
    aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Great, thank you for confirming / sharing your experience @UrsulaA !

This discussion has been closed.