Mint import - duplicate if Transaction Date was changed - any recourse?

Options
aolafsson
aolafsson Member ✭✭✭

I'm dabbling in my first Mint imports, and it appears that if the transaction date was changed in Mint, it looks like it creates a duplicate transaction in Simplifi and doesn't recognize it as the same thing. I do that a good bit. i.e. I budget for something in November, but then the charges comes late and lands 12/2 so I change the transaction date in Mint to a November date since it was accounted for in the November budget. OR I'd somewhat inconsistently change the posted date of a transaction in Mint to the date I actually went to that store when checking & updating Mint, so now the Mint date and the bank transaction date don't match. In hindsight, that's somewhat meaningless and has made a mess of this import business! But, I did it. Is this something that may be addressable in the future if I wait for improvements to the import process to bring Mint data over? Or will the only way to deal with this likely be manual?

I did try Monarch and the import worked GREAT, only because they let you delete all transactions prior to a certain date, and then I curated the Mint csv to just be up to that delete date, and voila, before a certain date was my Mint data exactly as I had it in Mint, and after was Monarch direct. I loved it, and felt very in control of managing the data. But Monarch is missing my primary bank, doesn't have the reports and trends that I use a lot, and some other features that have landed me with Simplifi.

Best Answers

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@aolafsson, I'd personally suggest being a bit more diligent with the imports. You can export/import a certain chunk of data at a time by filtering your transactions in Mint before export, which should prevent any transactional overlaps from occurring.

As far as using bank downloaded transactions in Quicken Simplifi as of a certain date, since banks typically provide data 90 days back when you connect, connecting the accounts at the beginning of the year would download data back to September/October. The bank downloads should be able to identify any duplicates, though, and match them accordingly.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@aolafsson - Given how Simplifi works, @Coach Natalie's suggestion will work.

Alternatively, I will use your Mint transactions and delete the bank transactions if you believe your Mint transactions are correct. Bank transactions are only downloaded once, the bank will not download the same transactions again.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3348103-managing-transactions-in-quicken-simplifi#delete-a-transaction

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

Answers

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@aolafsson, thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

Please be sure to carefully follow the steps here when importing transactions from Mint: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint

When it comes to the duplicate transactions, are you referring to transactions that have been downloaded in Quicken Simplifi due to connecting to the bank before importing transactions into the account from Mint? If so, I think we recommend the opposite flow — you'd want to do all of your importing first and then connect the account to the bank. At any rate, connecting an account to the bank for the first time in Quicken Simplifi should only provide 90 days' worth of data, so you'd only see the issue that far back. As long as the account stays connected for transaction download you would not need to continue importing new transactions from Mint, so the issue wouldn't continue to occur, making a manual correction most likely your best best.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4901071-how-to-resolve-duplicate-transactions

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• aolafsson
    aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Coach Natalie No, I'm not referring to the ones coming from the bank, referring strictly Ito the Mint import process creating duplicates. I've connected all my banks, and am now proceeding to work through my Mint imports. For ones that are both coming from the bank AND in my Mint history (where there is overlap) I believe Simplifi is trying to prevent duplication of transactions by looking for matches, but I'm getting duplicates in two scenarios: 1) when I split transactions in Mint and 2) when I changed the date on the Mint transaction, because I believe Simplifi isn't recognizing them as the same transaction. The import process recommended doesn't account for notable changes to the transaction on the Mint side (after it landed from the bank there) that leads to the Simplifi model not being able to de-dupe. Unfortunately those are both things I did often, so I'm trying to figure out if I have any real way of getting my Mint history imported / how much effort it will be to manually reconcile those given the frequency of me doing that.

Do you expect there would be any future alternate methods of importing that let me use Mint imports as the source of truth before a certain date (i.e. wipe out all Simplifi transactions before 12/31/23) and use Simplifi bank connect import transactions after a certain date (i.e. start with that 1/1/24).

This discussion has been closed.