Issue with Import of Specifically of Amazon Transactions: Auto-Categorized to 'Shopping'

Options
aolafsson
aolafsson Member ✭✭✭

Just sharing this issue & workaround for Amazon transactions. I wish I had known this from the beginning, now I need to delete & re-do a bunch of accounts.

I'm importing data from Mint, and I'm specifically having an issue with all Amazon transactions. They are ALL getting re-categorized to 'Shopping' even though I checked, and I do not have a rule in place that should change them to 'Shopping'. It's like there is a back-end rule changing them all to 'Shopping' even the older transactions I'm importing, from well before Quicken is pulling from my bank.

To test my theory, I deleted the account that is the highest in Amazon transactions to start over. I re-connected it to Quicken and it's pulling transactions from the bank since 9/28/2023. I then altered the Mint CSV to did a word replace to change the word 'Amazon' to 'Nozama' (Amazon spelled backwards) across the document, and re-attempted the Mint import. That worked and the transactions were not re-categorized!

Comments

• aolafsson
    aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just re-did all my importing with this trick to fix the issue with Amazon, and now realized this is a larger issue with many other retailers. None of my categories for Home Depot imported (they all went to 'Home Improvement') nor Chewy (which all went to 'Pet Food & Supplies').

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have never imported so I'm not much value. Q-Simplifi does try to make a "best guess" at categorization if a rule isn't set up, which I'm of mixed minds about.

In the case of import transferring pre-defined categories from Mint to Q-Simplifi, I wonder if it would work if you manually created your Mint categories in Q-Simplifi before the import process? Just a thought, but I do agree that it should work regardless.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

This discussion has been closed.