Import Issues - Is the process still just buggy?

Options
aolafsson
aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
edited January 29 in Report a Bug

Here is an example of a transaction in Simplfi (post import) and transaction in my import CSV where Simplfi did NOT match and take my category/labels/notes from the Mint CSV. There was no splitting or date change, no reason it's not a simple one-for-one match.

And, here is an example in the same import/account where the import did match transactions up and load my Mint data.

When I added this account to Simplifi (before my Mint import) it reached back to Bank Transactions since 5/8/22. In the period from 5/8/22 to present, it's SUPER sporadic as to whether it uploaded the Mint data, but overall I'd say less than a quarter of transactions got the Mint data. For all the older transactions, pre 5/8/22, they look good and like it was a straight insert with all my data.

What's up with this? Is the process still just buggy?

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It looks like the bank transactions take priority over mint transactions when there is overlap. I did not experience what you describe as I kept the bank transactions and re-categorized them. After that, I imported Mint data with a date range up to a day before the earliest date of the bank connections with no overlap. I reversed the order of the Simplifi Mint import flow but avoided issues because I did not have overlapping date ranges.

The process the Help file provides is very specific now: Upload Mint data when the account is manual. then connect to the bank. Reversing the order and having overlapping date ranges in the import causes issues.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• aolafsson
    aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think that's the case (bank transactions taking priority), as both of those two examples above are in the same account which was pulling bank transactions since 5/8/22 before I began my imports. Both examples above (one success and one fail) are in the overlap window. I made a list of all my accounts and noted the date of the farthest back transaction in my XLS before I began importing, for awareness and troubleshooting purposes. Both of the examples above are in a period of overlap - in one example no Mint data was imported, and in one it was. It just seems haphazard whether it imported the Mint data.

Some of my other spending accounts are going back to Dec 2021 with the bank transactions upon connection. Avoiding overlap isn't possible, it's just way too many transactions in that overlap period to re-categorize manually. And, it seems like the import process is trying to match up the transactions and add the Mint data, and is sometimes successful. That it updated with the Mint data on some transactions, and it wasn't universally favoring the bank transaction data, makes it seem like it's still buggy? Else, I would have seen one set of outputs pre-overlap start date, and another after.

I have not yet tried that new import order - where you make the account manual first, and then import, then connect to the bank account. Does that not result in duplicate transactions in the overlap period?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As I described above, I avoided issues by avoiding date overlap. Alternatively, delete the bank transactions that overlap with the Mint ones and then import. The bank will not download the same transactions twice.

Minter 2014-2023

• aolafsson
    aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Avoiding date overlap isn't possible for me, the bank history is going back too long.

I tried the second option you mentioned, I deleted out all the Simplifi transactions up until 12/1 (leaving me only 1 month to clean up manually), and I uploaded Mint transactions up until 11/30, and Simplifi didn't import the ones in the overlap period unless they had been a split transactions. :( I wonder if they still existed behind the scenes and Simplifi was still trying to de-dupe against them.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@aolafsson - I found it easier to go back and recategorize the bank download transactions that overlapped with Mint versus attempting to import Mint transactions already in the bank feed. My bank history went back 2 years for the checking account.

I was able to reconcile Mint and Simplifi to the penny for 2022 and 2023. However, I connected the accounts first and then did the import from Mint for transactions with no date overlap.

I also found it too painful to import all my history going back ten years in Mint. I use the data from the past 2 years to make decisions anyway, so I do not need the older history day to day.

When I had issues, I deleted the connected account and started the import process again, as @Coach Natalie suggested in another thread. I worked with the system constraints.

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.