Why are manual credit card balances included in the net worth calculation?

Options
secondchances
secondchances Member
edited January 29 in Troubleshooting

I added a manual credit card, and imported transactions, and now that balance is included in my net worth. Is this a bug?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

No, net worth includes the balances of all accounts. See more below: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5160316-how-to-exclude-accounts-from-reports-and-the-spending-plan

Excerpt

Note: Excluding an account from Reports will not exclude it from the Net Worth Report. This is because the Net Worth Report uses balances instead of transactions, and excluding an account excludes the transactions. If you'd like to exclude an account from the Net Worth Report, you may do so by using the Account Filter options. More info is available here!

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Correct, credit card transactions reduce net worth. Are you transactions being properly reflected as expenses and payments as reducing the balances of the credit cards? More specific information about the transactions will help someone troubleshoot.

Minter 2014-2023

Answers

• secondchances
    Options

However, a credit card is a liability account and should not be included in the net worth amount on the dashboard. It should reduce it. I get that the report is a workaround but it would be nice if the dashboard was also accurate.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, per the support article below:

• You'll want to be sure that negative transactions have a negative sign in front of the number or they'll import as positive transactions.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4413430-how-to-manually-import-transactions

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.