Retroactive Savings Balance

Options
TianK
TianK Member
edited February 2 in Using Reports

Hello, I just joined Simplifi and linked a checking and savings account. This only pulled in 3 months of data, but I uploaded 13 months of transactions.

Why does the "Savings" tab not show any history of the savings balance? While, at the same time, "Spending", "Income" and "Net Income" do take into account all historical transactions?

This has got to be one of the easiest things you could do: keep a running balance of the account (and list that as a column, BTW), and then just graph it! Why would you NOT do this?

Please consider this a feature request: update your software to include all data in the "Savings" tab!

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The running balance isn't there because the balance is always gotten from the bank, taking into account pending transactions (which may or may not be in the bank balance)… Balance doesn't depend on hisotrical transactions. The balance should be correct regardless of past transactions.

Past net worth is determined by starting with today's balances, and reversing transactions into the past to guess what the balance was in the past presuming the transactions were right.

Rob Wilkens

• TianK
    Options

Well, in my case the accounts have only been open since Nov 2021…therefore they start at ZERO!

This should absolutely be an optional feature: "starting balance." Quicken Deluxe allows you to do this, AND is has a "Balance" column. Both of these features should be a part of Simplifi. If you don't want to use it, great then don't use it. But at least have a running balance feature!

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just realize, as the software is designed, let's say you went back a week and added a missing $10 withdrawal (cleared transaction), that wouldn't change today's balance at all, instead it would add $10 to prior balances so that today's balance stays the same.

The running balance was requested and formally declined by Simplifi.

Rob Wilkens

• TianK
    Options

That is very disappointing. This should be an advanced feature that users have the option to turn on. But I guess Simplifi is trying not to cannibalize from its Quicken software base, therefore forcing anyone who wants beyond basic capabilities to move up to a $72/yr subscription. Quicken has been been penalizing its loyal customer base for years now by discounting subscriptions for new users but then sticking it to it's existing customer base by charging full price. Somebody needs a new house/boat…

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Yeah, you couldn't pay me to go back to Quicken Classic… It was good for its time, but in a world where you want everything synced between phone and mobile and desktop, it was awful. Yes, it had a mobile app, but the data was always out of date between that and desktop. So if i wanted to check my accounts remotely it was often wrong, and if i entered transactions remotely good luck syncing that to the desktop app.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk is spot on. I also noticed that the savings tab only includes balances for accounts that have Savings as the account type.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• billstidham
    Options

without a balance history, the savings report is incomplete and thus useless. I don’t need to know what my balance history is from the point of establishing a connection, I need to know what my balance history is overall time so that I can accurately monitor my behavior. Having this functionality would get me out of having to do this on my own with my own database and queries. I hope Quicken considers letting us import our own balance history to fill this missing data in.

This discussion has been closed.