Difficulties importing from Mint

Options
jph
jph Member
edited January 2 in Getting Started

Based on https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint , my understanding is the process is essentially:

1. Connect an account and let Simplifi import transactions.
  2. Delete all the transactions (select all → edit → delete) to avoid duplicates with the Mint import.
  3. Export Mint transactions for that single account, and import it.
  4. Repeat for each account.

I did this for one account. This appeared to be successful in terms of not having any error messages or anything. However, not all the transactions appear in Simplifi. There are a bunch of things started with 2020 (there seems to be something about only showing that far by default), up to January 31, 2023. Then there is a single additional recurring transaction on April 18, 2023.

The csv has the additional expected transactions. There are 74 transactions between January 31 and April 18, and 236 transactions after April 18.

I've given it fifteen minutes or so in case something is still processing in the background, but refreshing still displays only this.

My questions then are:

1. Is this creation/delete/import process the correct one to go through, or is there a simpler way? Will this correctly synchronize future transactions automatically?
  2. Why are all my transactions not showing? Is something simply broken and I need to wait for it to be fixed? Do I need to pass on information to a support ticket somewhere?

Best Answer

Answers

• Thomcat
    Options

I use these apps to track my expenses and spending. I just switched to Simplifi from Mint literally 30 minutes ago and was going down the path of importing. I think the process is what you're going through which is you have to export each linked bank/credit/investment account individually and then manually import each account one at a time. It's just not worth the time to me. I've backed up all my transactions and since it is December 31, I am going to start the new year and create new item categories and start to manually categorize uncategorized items fresh in Simplifi on January 1, 2024. That's the tough thing is that I lose all my historical trending from almost 10 years of Mint usage. Sigh. That's ok. I'll keep Mint/Credit Karma live for anything pre-2024 and Simplifi for everything else going forward. It's a clean transition that way. If Mint had just merely charged for their services I would have gladly paid to keep going on their service.

• jph
    jph Member
    Options

Past years is not the problem; as stated, it's recent data that isn't showing in the import.

Individually importing accounts is also not the problem per se; it's annoying, but something I can deal with. The problem is missing transactions.

• jph
    jph Member
    Options

Update: there appears to be a new Mint import process. I deleted everything and tried that. It eventually timed out, but did get some stuff imported, and I'm probably going to just deal with that and annoy my wife when she tries to do taxes. The UX is definitely better, mostly in that it allows you to import all accounts at the same time, but it also very much looks like something that just got rolled out and done in a hurry (aside from the timeout, it briefly caused loading the main page of the app to not work, and the http responses include java exceptions from the backend).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.