Payee Issue with Delta Comm CU (edited)

Options

All of my credit card purchases appear in Simplifi as "credit card purchase" in the payee field. Unless I know where the purchase was made, it is difficult to track and budget with a generic payee. I know how to set up naming rules, but nothing is suggested for initial purchases at an online or in person store. Oddly, my latest 3 examples all have categories suggested, so clearly the bank is sending something to Simplifi…I have been using another online budgeting tool for years, and see easily identified vendors for each CC purchase. Why can't Simplifi perform this very basic function?

Are there any settings that I'm missing in Simplifi?

thanks in advance for any insights…

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

On the transaction detail page, is an "Appears on your— statement as —" text if it's been downloaded from the bank. That may 'help' identify it, but ideally is not the place you should have to look.

No, what you're describing does not normally appear that way to me on my accounts. It may be account/financial-institution specific.

Rob Wilkens

• Paddlefoot02
    Options

clicked the wrong response to "did this answer the question." Still looking for an answer, hoping it's a settings issue. I do know where to find the transaction detail page which has a hyperlink to "credit card purchase." thanks for the thought RobWilk

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paddlefoot02

Unfortunately, I suspect that what shows up has a great deal to do with how your bank downloads it from their end and not so much what Simplifi is doing. Our main interface with that in Simplifi is to set up Payee Naming Rules.

For comparison, here are a few examples from various accounts of mine…some are more useful than others, but non of them show just "Credit Card Purchase'. However, note that each one is slightly different as presented by the different banks.

Various CC Accounts…

Various Checking Accounts …

You can see this info by clicking the three dots next to your "Credit Card Purchase" and viewing Transaction Details. Could you perhaps provide a screenshot of what this shows for the transaction that downloaded as "Credit Card Purchase"? That would help us help you better.

As long as it doesn't just say "Credit Card Purchase" here in the transaction details, then you should be able to build out rules to help you better identify individual transactions (Simplifi > Settings > Payees & Rules > +Rule > New payee name rule).

If this area just shows "Credit Card Purchase" then ??????

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Paddlefoot02
    Options

2 screenshots from mobile app. First shows 3 recent transactions filtered by “credit card purchase”. Second shows detail of the purchase from a local Toyota dealer. I hope this helps

If Simplifi knows the category how can it not know the vendor?

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, only one of the screenshots came through; the one from the Account Register showing multiple transactions, but I see what you mean about the "Credit Card Purchase" text.

It appears your using the Mobile App to get your screenshots.

Could you also open up each of those three transactions and get a screenshot of the "Appears on your [Acct Name] statement as ______ on _____"? If you are using Mobile App, then just click on each transaction and scroll to the very bottom. On the Desktop App, this info is at the very top. With this information, then we can see more details about what is actually going on with Simplifi.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Paddlefoot02
    Paddlefoot02 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

here’s a screenshot of the transaction detail from Mint. No problem identifying where the purchase was made

[edited image to reduce size]

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Haha! Jinx, we clicked Post at the same time! It looks like you're using Android?

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Paddlefoot02
    Options

iPhone

• Paddlefoot02
    Options

I’ll try a desktop screenshot now that I’m back home

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The interface is going to be slightly different between my iOS App and your Android App, but in general, I'd suggest checking Simplifi>Settings>Payees & Rules and search for "Credit Card". I suspect you'll find a rule for "Credit Card Payment" that is renaming your transaction. If not, then set up a rule for "Whatever You Want Your Transaction to be Named" and set the rules for TOYOTA SANDEGO. This should fix it going forward.

Let us know how it goes.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They have iphone,my android version of the app looks nothing like that screenshot.

Rob Wilkens

• Paddlefoot02
    Options

just to clarify… the detailed transaction screenshot was from Mint, which I've been using for a few years but have been having trouble with Navy Federal communication with Mint, hence now I'm using Simplifi but can't seem to get past this annoying problem

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

On android, I'm not seeing the appears on statement as ... it was there, but maybe recent updates removed it?

Rob Wilkens

• Paddlefoot02
    Paddlefoot02 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

above you'll see a desktop screenshot of the curiously named transactions with an expanded transaction detail screenshot below. I've renamed "credit card purchase numerous times" but it seems each new one comes with the generic payee title "credit card purchase."

thanks for looking into this for me.

[edited image to reduce size]

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ahh, that is curious. This is the most important bit then.

It's interesting that it's downloading as this in Mint, but just the generic Credit Card Purchase in Simplifi.

At this point, @Coach Natalie will have to get involved. Sorry, I'm all out of ideas. I'm positive that there isn't a setting that we have access to in our Simplifi accounts that would let you adjusts how transactions are getting downloaded into Simplifi. I'm guessing this is a data aggregator thing?

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Paddlefoot02, thanks for reaching out regarding this issue!

After reviewing everything outlined in this post, I want to get this issue escalated for you from our end. Since the "Appears on your statement as…" info also shows 'Credit Card Purchase', I'm not sure what can be done from our end. However, since the transactions do come in with (what sounds like) an accurate category assignment, and the payee also comes in correctly in Mint, I'm thinking there has to be something that can be done for this and we can, at the very least, research it from our end first.

Without having any additional insight from the "Appears on your statement as…" info to go off of, and therefore not even being able to create Transaction Rules for the transactions, I personally think this type of issue would be crazy frustrating. Especially if it was one of my high-use cards!

With that, please provide the following information:

1. The Date, Payee (actual payee), and Amount of 4 example transactions.
    2. A screenshot of the Transaction Detail window for each of the example transactions (taking these from the Web App will be much easier and will show all of the data in just one screenshot per transaction).
    3. A screenshot of these same example transactions as displayed on the bank's website.
    4. Let's get a screenshot of a couple of these example transactions from Mint as well.
    5. Confirm that the issue is unique to your Platinum Visa Rewards account in Quicken Simplifi.

You can DM me any of this info if you'd prefer to keep it private. I look forward to doing what I can to get this fixed for you!

-Coach Natalie

• Paddlefoot02
    Options

Hi Natalie, thank you for taking this on. Yes, this issue is crazy frustrating! To make matters worse, sometimes Simplifi grabs a naming rule from a different vendor previously ID'ed as "credit card purchase" and applies it to a new transaction.

I'll send the info you requested piecemeal to hopefully allow easier viewing.

10/16 - San Diego Union Tribune 62.64

10/12 - Toyota SD 76.07

10/9 - Von's 13.67

10/9 - Navy Exchange 255.15

• Paddlefoot02
    Paddlefoot02 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Coach Natalie

part 2:

summary screenshot

[removed screenshots for privacy]

• Paddlefoot02
    Paddlefoot02 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Coach Natalie

part 3 Delta Community CU screenshots:

[removed - privacy]

• Paddlefoot02
    Paddlefoot02 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Coach Natalie

part 4 screenshots from Mint:

• Paddlefoot02
    Options

@Coach Natalie

final post in this string…whew!

only one of the 4 Simplify transactions were from my wife's CC, but from the same account @ Delta Comm CU.

I hope this helps and thank you again for looking for a solution!

Best,

Russ Allen aka paddlefoot02

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Paddlefoot02, thanks so much for all of the info! I have gotten this escalated and will let you know as soon as we hear back.

-Coach Natalie

CTP-7953

• Paddlefoot02
    Options

@Coach Natalie update. this also happens with ACH transactions. I'm wondering if there is something I need to do at the credit union website? again, mint identifies the vendor/payee, but Simplifi seems to keep it generic until I add a naming rule.

scratching my head here. I definitely like the mobile version of Simplifi better than Mint, but the info download from DCCU is lacking.

thank you for escalating this!

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Paddlefoot02, to be clear, are you saying that you're also seeing an issue with ACH transactions in a checking or different account at Delta Community CU, or are these showing differently than the "credit card purchase" transactions in the same credit card account we already escalated?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Paddlefoot02
    Options

@Coach Natalie

DCCU checking account, not the same as the CC.

I looked at DCCU and they have an online option called Connectivity for Quicken and Quickbooks. Could that solve the problem? I don't use that yet, but am willing to give it a try.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Paddlefoot02, thanks for confirming!

Although I'm not sure what those settings with the bank will do, I would like to add the ACH transactions in the checking account to the ticket I submitted. Can you please provide a couple of example transactions using the same format as before (a screenshot of the Transaction Detail window in Quicken Simplifi and a screenshot of how the transactions look on the bank's website)? I will also need the name of the checking account as it appears in Quicken Simplifi, but this should be available to me in the Transaction Detail screenshots. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Paddlefoot02
    Paddlefoot02 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Coach Natalie sorry to get back to you late, but needed a break over the weekend. above are 3 recent ACH transactions with no payee identified. all from my DCCU account. I asked the bank and they said nothing from their end should be causing the trouble with Quicken products.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

No worries, @Paddlefoot02!

I added the issue with your ACH transactions to the ticket and will let you know if they need any further info on that part. Otherwise, I'll let you know as soon as we have an update.

-Coach Natalie

• Paddlefoot02
    Paddlefoot02 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Coach Natalie

One final update and I'll await for the team to come up with a solution—hopefully. I've noticed pending transactions have the vendor identified in several recent CC purchases. when they go into the register they revert to "Credit Card Purchase" as seen below. Something seems to occur after download from the bank inside my Simplifi account. That tells me this should be fixable. Another screenshot below shows how this transaction and another like it appeared when a "pending transaction." As I'm sure you can understand, seeing who it's coming from is important in tracking expenses. unfortunately I can't review transactions every day in order to catch who the vendor is while it's still pending. thanks

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Paddlefoot02, I think that's definitely important to know, and I added it to the ticket.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.