Is this software in Beta, it's buggy...

Options
Mark23
Mark23 Member ✭✭
edited February 7 in Feedback

I feel like a beta tester for this software, I know this is vague without detailed examples but… everything from categories not showing up to reports (no I don't have them excluded) example, my "Mortgage" subcategory under "loans doesn't show up even if you select all of your cats but does if you select just the Mortgage cat. screen refresh making it jumpy and seems if you are typing in comments and it auto refreshes it's lost…I could go on and on… Is this software in Beta, if so it makes sense.

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Mark23, thanks for the feedback!

The answer is no, Quicken Simplifi is not in beta. We sometimes have features in beta, but Early Access would need to be enabled, and we don't have anything in Early Access currently. If you'd like to have the issues you're reporting reviewed further, I'd suggest creating a separate post to outline each one so we can take a closer look.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• jimmieholland1
    Options

I've noticed if I go a little slower I get fewer issues. When the update notification posts in the bottom left hand corner is a good trigger to move on. Refresh updates other data that doesn't look right. If that doesn't work just waiting a few minutes and checking again has done the trick. Buggy sure I get you but maybe it's just slow with so many data connections.

• Mark23
    Mark23 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply but I don't have the time to help simplifi develop their software. So your software engineers do engineering tests to check their work in simulation correct, who does the user validation, us the users or you have a team doing black box testing?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    Options

Thanks for your reply. Being as specific as possible when identifying issues helps Simplifi troubleshoot and make the experience better for all users. Without specifics, it is hard to know what the issues are.

While testing by software engineers identify issues, the real world presents different issues.

I reported bugs when I see them and one of them is under known issues. Other users saw a post describing the issue and they confirmed they were experiencing it too.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Mark23
    Mark23 Member ✭✭
    Options

No kidding, I am in software validation/verification of industrial controls - what they are doing here is a mediocre throw it over the wall and let the users report all the problems. I do this type of of all day every day for the past 14yrs and our code is WAY more complex then this and we have very few escapes, yes we have bugs all software does but we don't release if those bugs create a terrible user experience.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Now I understand where you are coming from. Great points!

Minter 2014-2023

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mark23Jan 4, 2024

No kidding, I am in software validation/verification of industrial controls - what they are doing here is a mediocre throw it over the wall and let the users report all the problems. I do this type of of all day every day for the past 14yrs and our code is WAY more complex then this and we have very few escapes, yes we have bugs all software does but we don't release if those bugs create a terrible user experience.

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/comment/24892#Comment_24892

I'm new to Quicken Simplifi, I thought I had found several bugs but they turned out to be my lack of understanding. In many aspects, development for industrial control is only for specific ares of the industry which simplify the process. You should try developing one application for all industry. Your either trolling or so smart you don't have a need for budging software.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is true as well. Simplifi is for the masses, all industry. Hard to identify each bug prior to release.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ajbopp made good points on another thread too. If a solution to an issue is clearing the cache and restarting the app, the app/software has issues.

Overall, Simplifi works for me for budgeting and tracking my accounts.

Minter 2014-2023

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

With multiple browsers, and configurations controlled by browser users, the problem may be with the browser. Throw security in the mix and it is easy to get trash in your cache. The web is constantly adding new features, and I appreciate the Simplifi team updating, improving, and adding new features. However, any time you touch the coding there is a chance you add a bug. I would be surprised if stress test software is available that would test Simplifi with all the different browsers, financial institutions, and configurations. I think quality Simplifi support, requests for user feedback, and continued updates, is the best approach for continued improvement.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was in software validation/verification for over 30 years, and with systems much more complex than industrial controls. Systems like cloud-based three-tier applications supporting tens of thousands of users and needing instant real-ltime updates of data over cellular or even satellite communications and instant database updates, and required to conform to complex government regulations.

Simplifi feels nothing like buggy software.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6
    Options

@ajbopp I screwed up my import a couple of times thinking I was so smart I didn't need to read or watch the excellent instructions available. I wanted to blame it on a bug. I wanted filter by dates on main transaction page until I figured out you could filter by dates on any report. Once I found filter by dates, I never used the function. Sounds like you understands the difficult of giving a wide range of users all the power to change and customize anything they expect or want to change while trying to keep them safe and having a user friendly web base and smart phone app that is intuitive. Hopefully you did not have to get buying from most of the finical institutes in the world but I bet you had to deal with more security.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree wholeheartedly here. Modeling software available for use by anyone with thousands of financial institution connections is a complex endeavor. I am grateful to not have to track my transactions manually, that will be more time consuming for me versus just asking support or the Community for help occasionally. I also know that the help provided will meet my needs best if I am specific with the problem I am looking to solve.

Minter 2014-2023

• CanyonHawks
    CanyonHawks Member
    Options

I know there is great complexity in trying to connect to thousands of institutions and deal with all the idiosyncrasies associated but so far after a month of use I have spent hours and hours trying to get accounts to connect with getting strange errors that vary by the day, of capturing screen shots and uploading to show what I am encountering, I have one account that shows me having millions of dollars in it because they are apparently shifting the decimal point on import, I can't yet communicate to the main accounts - apparently because I'm assigned to the "finicity" aggregator and it has problems, so yea, it does feel buggy to me. I'm trying to be patient but a month in and so far it's not helping me with my daily finances, it' displaying the balances of a few accounts but that is not what I need it for.

This discussion has been closed.