Unable to add Discover Credit Cards to Discover Card connection

Options
System
System Administrator admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Discover credit card transaction missing.

Tagged:

Comments

• cdorsi
    cdorsi Member ✭✭
    Options

About 12-18 months ago, the Discover Bank sign in stopped updating credit card accounts daily. It now only updates the credit card when your Discover card statement is posted, and then only for transactions on that statement, not after. The guidance at the time from Simplifi was to switch all credit card accounts to use the Discover card log in (there are actually 2 versions of Discover card available in Simplifi) but to leave the bank accounts logged in through the Discover Bank option in Simplifi. This fixed the problem.

However, for several months, my Discover bank account would always tell me it could connect to Discover when I started Simplifi or hit refresh (though I just had to hit "try again" and it would be fine and update transactions. About 2-3 weeks ago, I tried resetting the connection for my Discover bank account. This fixed the bank account, but disconnected my Discover credit card (even though one used the bank login and the other used the credit card login).

Ever since I've been unable to readd the Discover card account using either of the Discover card login options available in Simplifi. As others have noted, when I do this, I am successfully logging in to the Discover account, but then get the message that all accounts have been added, even if I have all Discover accounts set to manual and have deleted all log in instances to Discover bank and card logins.

I can successfully add the credit card account using the bank login, which updates the balance correctly, but as previously stated, it will only get transactions from posted statements, not activity since the last statement. So this is not a useful work around.

To be clear, the problem here is NOT the missing transactions that have been posted by Coach Natalie. The problem is the inability to add Discover card accounts using either of the Discover card login options. We are all getting the message that all of our accounts have already been added when using the Discover card login. Transactions were not missing from my Discover card account as of Dec. 17 when it got disconnected. We just need to be able to add our credit cards using the Discover card login option again, and the transactions will be there.

• cdorsi
    cdorsi Member ✭✭
    Options

If you have a Discover credit card that you connected with the Discover bank login, it will only update the balance in real time and transactions will only load when a statement is posted. No transactions since your last statement will load until you get the statement they are on. 12-18 months ago Simplifi recommended switching all credit card accounts to the Discover card login, and leaving only bank accounts connected with the Discover bank login. This had been working great, and all credit card transactions were loading as they posted to my account.

Unfortunately, starting a few weeks ago, it looks like many people, including me are unable to add accounts using the Discover card login options. Currently, following a successful login via either of the Discover card login options in Simplifi, we receive the message that all accounts have already been added, even if all Discover accounts are set to manual and all instances of previous Discover logins have been deleted.

It's the inability to add accounts via the Discover card login option that needs to be fixed. Then the fact that the Discover bank login only retrieves transactions from posted credit card statements wont matter.

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @cdorsi,

To assist with this issue, could you please clarify some information? There are a couple different connections with Discover Card.

Have you tried both connections? Do both throw the same "No accounts to add" error?

You mentioned that you initially had your credit card account(s) connected to Discover Card, but a few weeks ago an issue with being unable to add accounts to that connection started. Is anything that is already connected able to update, and you're just not able to add new accounts?

I look forward to your response!

-Coach Kristina

• spencer.c
    spencer.c Member
    Options

I am also experiencing this issue.

Some other relevant information:

• I have a Discover savings account, checking account, and credit card.
      • All of these use one Discover account.
    • I am a new user and came from Mint.
      • Mint is still syncing my credit card transactions. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I know they both connect with an Intuit connection.
    • I tried both the "Discover Card" and "Discover Credit Card" connections.
      • They both fail and give the "you have already added all of your accounts at this bank" error message.
      • (I believe this ^ is the error that this discussion thread is focused on.)
      • After trying these connections several times (with correct credentials), Discover locked my online account. The provided reason from Discover was too many incorrect password attempts, and I had to call their customer support to unlock my account.
      • The "Discover Credit Card" connection, which is a default option when I open the add account modal, shows "http://www.discovercard.com/" as the URL, which made me hesitant to even try it.
        • "http" instead of "https" makes me unsure if it's using a secure connection.
        • "discovercard.com" has redirected to "discover.com/credit-cards" for years.
      • None of the Discover account options have "portal.discover.com" as the URL, which is where users typically sign into Discover accounts now.
    • The "Discover Bank" connection is able to find and connect to the savings account, checking account, and credit card.
    • I have tried removing all Discover accounts and reconnecting. Nothing was different the second time.

• cdorsi
    cdorsi Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I have tried the "Discover Card" and "Discover Credit Card" options, and they both tell me "You have already added all your accounts at this bank." The Discover savings account which uses the "Discover Bank" login option is updating fine.

The Discover card was updating normally until it got disconnected. There's no other account that I've tried to connect via the Discover card login options. I'm not trying to add a newly opened account; my existing account got disconnected and I now can't add it back. After my most recent credit card statement, I briefly added my card via the Bank login so that it would update the statement transactions, but since it won't update again for another month that way, I set the card account back to manual.

Even setting the Discover savings account to manual and deleting the Discover Bank connection and disconnecting my Discover card as a bill, I'm still getting the "You have already added all your accounts at this bank" message when I try to add the card via either Discover card option.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hey everyone!

Though I'm not sure what's going on with the Discover connection or if the credit card accounts are still able to be connected to the "Discover Card" option to avoid the issue with transactions only downloading when the statement is released each month, it sounds like some of you were able to connect to the "Discover Card" option previously, so I'd like to look at escalating a couple of cases. Plus, if the account in question is a credit card account, it should be able to be linked using one of the credit card options.

With that, please provide the following details for an escalation:

1. Confirm that the account in question is a credit card account.
    2. Confirm that both the "Discover Card" and "Discover Credit Card" options have been tried and that both produce the same "You have already added all your accounts at this bank." message.
    3. Has there been any activity in the account in the last 90 days?
    4. Is the account considered an external account (i.e. are you redirected to a different website when selecting the account on the bank's website?)
    5. Is the account a subtype of a different account?
    6. Has the bank made any recent changes to its website or sign-in process?
    7. The name of the account, as it appears on the bank's website.
    8. If the issue is occurring on an existing Quicken Simplifi account, the name of the account as it appears in Quicken Simplifi.
    9. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website (the page that lists all accounts and balances - feel free to redact any private info) that has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser).
    10. A screenshot of the Add Account screen in Quicken Simplifi showing the "You have already added all your accounts at this bank." message.

We look forward to working toward a resolution on this!

-Coach Natalie

• spencer.c
    spencer.c Member
    Options

Thanks for looking into this!

1. Since 2017 I believe, Discover has combined their online accounts into one. So the Discover account I'm trying to use is for a checking, savings, and credit card.
    2. I tried both the "Discover Card" and the "Discover Credit Card" connections, and as of yesterday, they both were giving that error message.
      Something changed since yesterday. I can enter my credentials and provide the 2-factor code from Discover, but then I get "Care Code: FDP-102" instead of the "You have already added all your accounts at this bank." message, (which was a full modal, not just the banner message).
    3. Yes. There have been many transactions on my Discover credit card in the past weeks and months.
    4. No. The account is a Discover account. Logging in on the bank's site takes me to an account page (portal.discover.com). Selecting a card takes me to the card subdomain (card.discover.com). Selecting a checking/savings account takes me to the bank subdomain (bank.discover.com).
    5. Maybe? There is no separate login for a credit card account vs bank account. Discover just has a single login for all accounts.
    6. Not to my knowledge.
    7. "Discover it Chrome Card"
    8. I am a new user, so I have only ever had the Discover card connection working through the "Discover Bank" connection.
    9. Discover's account summary page
    10. Again, something has changed, and it is no longer giving the same "You have already added all your accounts at this bank." message, so I am unable to get a screenshot of this.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@spencer.c, thanks!

Since you're now receiving a 102 error with Discover, we won't be able to submit an escalation for the missing account until that's resolved. For the 102 error, we'll want to allow 48 hours to see if it clears up on its own.

Let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• spencer.c
    spencer.c Member
    Options

I'm not sure what changed, but this is no longer an issue for me. I tried again today and was able to connect using the "Discover Credit Card" connection!

• cdorsi
    cdorsi Member ✭✭
    Options

Same thing happened to me. I went to capture the screen shot of the "You have already added all your accounts at this bank" message, but got the FDP-102 error instead.

This morning I tried again and it worked like normal. Simplifi saw my credit card account, I was able to link it to the Simplifi instance of my account that I'd previously set to manual, and all of my transactions since I was last able to sync the account have downloaded. Do know what changed, but it looks like the "Discover Credit Card" login option (the one that shows the Discover logo) is fixed in Simplifi.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Awesome! 🥳

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.