Vehicle expense tracking

Options
quicken-lover
quicken-lover Member
edited February 6 in Managing Your Transactions

When I originally joined (this) quicken, I added my car and its value as an asset. However, I'm starting to wonder why I bothered. It doesn't seem to add any value to the experience.

Is there a way to link a transaction that's for my vehicle directly the the vehicle I added in the system? That way I can see how much I'm spending on that vehicle (fuel & maintenance).

I sort-of do this now by creating a tag for each vehicle. I then manually tag transactions throughout the month. However, having the vehicle listed in my account as an asset seems like a waste of time. What good does it do for me if all I can see is its value according to the last time I updated it?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6 Answer ✓
    Options

Assets count toward your total net worth. If the system allowed us to attach transactions +- to our assets, our net worth would be increasingly inaccurate as time goes on. The value of a car doesn't go up or down depending on whether a tank of gas was added yesterday, just as the value of my house isn't impacted by paying my electric bill.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

Answers

• quicken-lover
    Options

Oh that makes sense. I didn't think of it from that angle. Thanks for the explanation.

This discussion has been closed.