Mint Import truncates tags

Options
UrsulaA
UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
edited February 28 in Feedback

I imported my Mint data into Simplifi on Friday and Saturday from 2014-2021. I got the categories and the income and expenses totals to match to the penny for all years.

I used the procedure outlined on the thread below.

I noticed that when a tag exists in Simplifi that is a part of another tag that I am importing to the system, Simplifi truncates the tag.

I have a tag called Business in Simplifi.

I imported a tag in the Mint CSV file called ZBusinessUtilitiesCommunication

Simplifi imported the transactions as follows Tags: Business, ZUtilitiesCommunication instead of the original ZBusinessUtilitiesCommunication tag. Is this normal behavior?

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

Best Answers

• aolafsson
    aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 8 Answer ✓
    Options

Yeah, it seems like there are bugs in intaking the tag, but you're not alone.

I also had some wonky tag imports like this too, but it still worked for me in that nothing was so messed up that I couldn't recognize the tags and ensure match to category. It didn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason with mine, just seemed like bugs. Mine were very clean in the XLS - no special characters, no spaces - and expected behavior should be to translate user's tag exactly as-is I'd say for a process like importing. I didn't take a screenshot and they're now all deleted, but I had lots of scrambled words and several split into 2 tags. Since these were all tags I was planning to delete anyways, I didn't worry about it much, but for others who have a lot of tags and want to keep them, this seems like it would be not enjoyable to sort through.

• aolafsson
    aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I only had 1 existing tag in Simplifi; it definitely happened for me across all sorts of tags that had no overlap with existing tags.

Answers

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I saw the bug only happen with tags that contained substrings of existing tags I am actually using in Simplifi. Glad to know it is not just me.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, good to know. I had 17 existing tags in Simplifi before importing. I was not going to import older data but I decided to give it a go. Your method made it work for me.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@UrsulaA, it sounds like we are doing a revamp of the Mint Import process that should be released this week. For now, we won't want to really look at or report most issues, as our efforts might become obsolete. With that, please be sure to let us know if you continue to see an issue after the 3.95.0 Web Release.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Noted - I finished my import and took 10 hours or so. I am glad the category imports for Mint were added in late November/early December. Otherwise, the import would have been untenable for me.

Hope the fix helps other users.

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.