Reoccurring transactions/categories and Checks

Options
N4KHQ
N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭
edited February 8 in Managing Your Transactions

It looks like my bank only gives Simplifi the account, amount and check number. We give a fixed amount to the church each month but it does not look like the bank gives Simplifi enough information to mark a check reoccurring or give it a category rule. Am I missing any tricks.

Best Answers

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If the amount is the same each month and occurs at about the same time, I will think a recurring bill will work. Can you try it and see how it goes?

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, that is typical for a check since the bank doesn't know the payee. If it is an electronic payment, then the bank downloads the payee to Simplifi, and Simplifi will ask you to create a rule. (I think we have the technology to read this information from checks, but I fear the banks aren't interested as electronic payments are now the rule and not the exception.)

Ursula's answer should be the solution as long as the recurring bill is around the same time and amount each month. AI is a wonderful (if sometimes scary thing), but often works but is never 100%.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

This discussion has been closed.